Gritty urates… for a while now

Pinkaybltr

Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
Hi! I’m a first time tortoise mom to a 2-month old sulcata and for 3 weeks now it has passed gritty urates! I don’t understand why, I’ve been soaking it every single day, sprayed water on its food. I feed it romaine lettuce to just get hydration. His/her diet is a high fiber pellet, previously Mazuri 5M21. Pls help!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hi! I’m a first time tortoise mom to a 2-month old sulcata and for 3 weeks now it has passed gritty urates! I don’t understand why, I’ve been soaking it every single day, sprayed water on its food. I feed it romaine lettuce to just get hydration. His/her diet is a high fiber pellet, previously Mazuri 5M21. Pls help!
Hello!
Can you show some pictures of the enclosure, what temperatures and humidity there?
What do you feed it now? Some pellets may contain much alfalfa grass, which is rich in protein and this contributes to forming of urates. How long ago you have stopped feeding Mazuri? Can you add natural foods to its diet?

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Hello!
Can you show some pictures of the enclosure, what temperatures and humidity there?
What do you feed it now? Some pellets may contain much alfalfa grass, which is rich in protein and this contributes to forming of urates. How long ago you have stopped feeding Mazuri? Can you add natural foods to its diet?
On top of these questions, I would like to ask what kind of water bowl do you have for your tortoise? Could you post the ingredients of the new pellets?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi when you soak what are you doing and on what and for how long.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome to the forum. You will be glad you came because you'll get the best possible help here!

Pinkaybltr

Philippines
On top of these questions, I would like to ask what kind of water bowl do you have for your tortoise? Could you post the ingredients of the new pellets?
the previous owner suggested that i dont put any water bowl, so i removed it. I added Bok Choy and water spinach to his diet, sometimes hibiscus and sometimes a lil bit of squash. This is his new pellets (1st pic) and his enclosure (2nd)

Attachments

• IMG_1823.jpeg
    IMG_1823.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1822.jpeg
    IMG_1822.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2

Pinkaybltr

Philippines
I had just stopped feeding it with Mazuri (probably yesterday) so I have to observe his urates after the new one (ultima pellets). I’m so scared to stunt his growth 😭
Edit: his temp revolves around 27°C-33°C ; basking temp around 34-38°C. Humidity is usually around 65-80%, depends on the time but i usually spray water on his enclosure when it’s too low

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Pellets contents is not bad at all, but any pellets should not be a staple food. You can give him Mazuri or Ultima 1-2 times a week - use it as a supplement. Look at Ultima ingredients - can you get some of the ingredients fresh? Like jute, mulberry leaves or opuntia pads.. Hibiscus leaves are a good food source too.

You won't see an immediate effect from changes in diet, you'll have to wait for several days.

A water bowl with clean fresh water should always be available in the enclosure. Hydration is important for hatchlings.

Keep humidity at 80% to ensure smooth shell growth. You may pour little water in substrate to help maintain humidity. Optimal ambient temperarure is 27C. Hatchlings can easily overheat.

His enclosure is not large enough. Lack of exercise can also stunt growth.

The basking lamp you use is giving narrow spot of light and can be drying for his shell. Simple incandescent is a better option.

This care sheet provides all information on raising healthy sulcata hatchlings:

Please, don't feel overwhelmed - we can help you to set up everything step by step. Start with a water dish (clay shallow saucer is cheap and good option) and try to lower ambient temperatures so they stay at 27-28C. And ask all questions you have.