Outdoor enclosure size for a juvenile/sub-adult Sulcata?

BajatheChickenMan

Location (City and/or State)
West Virginia
I am still a long ways out from my little guy being able to move outside but I am trying to do my due diligence and be prepared for what's coming. Also I like to work in the yard in the winter so I may start this project sooner than later lol. What is the recommended outdoor enclosure size for one juvenile to sub adult sulcata? I was reading through other threads and the FAQ and saw some sizes for adults but I didnt know if something too big too early could be bad? I also have funky hilly yard so im not sure about the shape of the enclosure yet if that matters? I need to see if I have some photos of my yard on my phone I could upload here to get suggestions perhaps on a decent spot. The plan long term once he's an adult is to have a majority of the back yard (that part would be approx 3/4 of an acre) be his living area. Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am still a long ways out from my little guy being able to move outside but I am trying to do my due diligence and be prepared for what's coming. Also I like to work in the yard in the winter so I may start this project sooner than later lol. What is the recommended outdoor enclosure size for one juvenile to sub adult sulcata? I was reading through other threads and the FAQ and saw some sizes for adults but I didnt know if something too big too early could be bad? I also have funky hilly yard so im not sure about the shape of the enclosure yet if that matters? I need to see if I have some photos of my yard on my phone I could upload here to get suggestions perhaps on a decent spot. The plan long term once he's an adult is to have a majority of the back yard (that part would be approx 3/4 of an acre) be his living area. Thanks!
The bigger the better. Really. If you put a 12 inch sulcata in a 10 acre pen, it would walk all over the whole thing.

Any numbers we give you are just made up and based on feelings. The extremes are obvious. 4x4 feet is too small. 10 acres is much more than is "necessary". I would just make it as big as you sensibly can given the layout of the yard and the features there. Hills are good. Something around 30x30 or 50x50 would be good to start with and you can enlarge it over time. I like to avoid sharp corners and round them off when possible and practical. Trees, shade and bushes are nice, but make sure it is all non-toxic. You might want to encircle plants and trees with a ring of blocks, 4 blocks high, to protect them form the tortoise. They will eat or trample anything you give them access to.

Something else to possibly incorporate would be rotating pastures. Make one central big enclosure. This can be the first one that you are asking about for a juvenile. Then make several more offshoot pens that are all connected to the main one but have a removable gate. The best thing for sulcatas to eat are grasses and weeds. You can have several pastures. As one gets eaten, you can open up a new one, and close up the eaten one so it can re-grow. If you can work out a way to do it on your property, you will never have to "feed" your tortoise ever again.

BajatheChickenMan

West Virginia
The bigger the better. Really. If you put a 12 inch sulcata in a 10 acre pen, it would walk all over the whole thing.

Any numbers we give you are just made up and based on feelings. The extremes are obvious. 4x4 feet is too small. 10 acres is much more than is "necessary". I would just make it as big as you sensibly can given the layout of the yard and the features there. Hills are good. Something around 30x30 or 50x50 would be good to start with and you can enlarge it over time. I like to avoid sharp corners and round them off when possible and practical. Trees, shade and bushes are nice, but make sure it is all non-toxic. You might want to encircle plants and trees with a ring of blocks, 4 blocks high, to protect them form the tortoise. They will eat or trample anything you give them access to.

Something else to possibly incorporate would be rotating pastures. Make one central big enclosure. This can be the first one that you are asking about for a juvenile. Then make several more offshoot pens that are all connected to the main one but have a removable gate. The best thing for sulcatas to eat are grasses and weeds. You can have several pastures. As one gets eaten, you can open up a new one, and close up the eaten one so it can re-grow. If you can work out a way to do it on your property, you will never have to "feed" your tortoise ever again.
This is an excellent jumping off point thank you. The one big tree in the back that I want rely on for shading the enclosure at certain times is a Hickory Tree. I haven't read about what trees are dangerous yet, just bushes and flowers but I figure the hickory nuts wouldn't be good for him. Its mostly grass and weeds all natural, lots of clover and dandelions so I am really looking forward to him helping out with the yard maintenance!

BajatheChickenMan

West Virginia
Would bricks of something similar to this photo work for a younger Sulcata or are cinderblocks the best solution for all outdoor aged ones?
tortoisepens-8745h.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Would bricks of something similar to this photo work for a younger Sulcata or are cinderblocks the best solution for all outdoor aged ones?
View attachment 364809
I use slumpstone blocks in much the same way as in the pictures. Start with three rows high, and add a forth row when your tortoise gets bigger. Start the second row with a half blocks so that the blocks are offset. This will add much needed strength to the wall.
IMG_8839.jpgIMG_0261.jpg
Alternatively, you can use plywood or planks on posts in the ground.

For sulcata, just make sure you don't use anything they can see through. They will hurt themselves on chainlink or other metal fencing types.

BajatheChickenMan

West Virginia
@Tom If I could piggyback off this, what size would you recommend moving a hatchling into it's intermediate enclosure? Im going to upgrade to the 4x8 green house method indoors. Currently using a Christmas tree tub enclosed chamber method and hes only 4 months old and about 65g.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom If I could piggyback off this, what size would you recommend moving a hatchling into it's intermediate enclosure? Im going to upgrade to the 4x8 green house method indoors. Currently using a Christmas tree tub enclosed chamber method and hes only 4 months old and about 65g.
It all depends on how many enclosures you want to make. It should only take a year or two for a sulcata to grow large enough to live outside in a suitable climate. I typically start them in large enclosures so that I don't have to keep making new ones. You will eventually need a 4x8 foot closed chamber and this will last until the tortoise is around 10 inches. The tortoise will tell you it is getting too big by knocking around the enclosure and wrecking your house keeping and landscaping in there. It won't be subtle. At that point, I move them outside full time with a heated night box. Where you are, its too cold in winter, so you are going to have to figure out some sort of large heated space, like a whole room or an insulated shed or barn. Then, once the tortoise tops 18-20 inches, you need even more room. Not easy to accomplish in areas where it snows.

BajatheChickenMan

West Virginia
It all depends on how many enclosures you want to make. It should only take a year or two for a sulcata to grow large enough to live outside in a suitable climate. I typically start them in large enclosures so that I don't have to keep making new ones. You will eventually need a 4x8 foot closed chamber and this will last until the tortoise is around 10 inches. The tortoise will tell you it is getting too big by knocking around the enclosure and wrecking your house keeping and landscaping in there. It won't be subtle. At that point, I move them outside full time with a heated night box. Where you are, its too cold in winter, so you are going to have to figure out some sort of large heated space, like a whole room or an insulated shed or barn. Then, once the tortoise tops 18-20 inches, you need even more room. Not easy to accomplish in areas where it snows.
Thanks, so if I were to switch in a few weeks to the 4x8, the baby would be fine in there? It wouldn't be too much too soon? We have a temp controlled walkout basement that I'm building his winter enclosure in. Gonna be starting that project in the late spring early summer.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks, so if I were to switch in a few weeks to the 4x8, the baby would be fine in there? It wouldn't be too much too soon? We have a temp controlled walkout basement that I'm building his winter enclosure in. Gonna be starting that project in the late spring early summer.
4x8 feet for a 100 gram youngster is totally fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wish you had a youtube channel Tom, you're one of the most knowledgeable and patient guys I've met on the internet! Cheers buddy! :)
I've thought about it, but I don't know enough about how to do it myself, and I don't have anyone that is interested in helping me. But thank you. I just enjoy talking about tortoises.

BajatheChickenMan

West Virginia
Im younger than you and still feel the same, I'm border-line technology illiterate these days. But I am definitely glad I found this forum and read the great research and information posted here. I also think its cool to see your old data in old posts from the 2010s etc. and see your knowledge evolve and progress. I'll definitely direct anyone I meet in the future to this site if they are interested in tortoises.

LeoTheWaywardTortoise

Platinum Tortoise Club
Maricopa, AZ
I've thought about it, but I don't know enough about how to do it myself, and I don't have anyone that is interested in helping me. But thank you. I just enjoy talking about tortoises.
I’d subscribe! BTW, you’re also becoming famous on the r/tortoise subreddit. Your care sheets are linked almost every day. People are so grateful for all the wisdom and experience you share. I’m one of those people.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’d subscribe! BTW, you’re also becoming famous on the r/tortoise subreddit. Your care sheets are linked almost every day. People are so grateful for all the wisdom and experience you share. I’m one of those people.
I didn't even know reddit was still a thing. That's interesting. I'm glad the info is getting out there and helping people and tortoises.