outdoor enclosure size

Tortoise Rescue Brenda

Location (City and/or State)
Pflugerville, Texas
What is the recommended outdoor enclosure size for an adult sulcata? I have spent time reading here to find a good answer. I have not found a definitive answer, maybe because there isn't one. I want to do the best for all my animals. You all always shoot straight and give good advice so I'm asking.

My sulcata is 35 lbs, 12 or 14" shell, 6 years old. My current enclosure is 30'x40'. Is that big enough for life?

Thank you
Brenda

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That would seem to be big enough, but only time will tell. If the grass gets eaten down to the roots and has a hard time growing, then you'll know it wasn't big enough. I have Dudley (110lbs) on this yard:

Dudley's Yard 3-10-14.jpg
Dudley's track 10-8-14.jpg
(the sight barrier fence is gone now) It's about 40x65, and he keeps it mowed down pretty good. I only have to run the Weedeater around the fence line occasionally.

Tortoise Rescue Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
That would seem to be big enough, but only time will tell. If the grass gets eaten down to the roots and has a hard time growing, then you'll know it wasn't big enough. I have Dudley (110lbs) on this yard:

View attachment 283583
View attachment 283584
(the sight barrier fence is gone now) It's about 40x65, and he keeps it mowed down pretty good. I only have to run the Weedeater around the fence line occasionally.

thank you, Yvonne.

It’s good to see you have worn down trails too. I was worried that was a sign it was too small. I’ve had him since May and he hasn’t eaten my grass down to the ground. I do supplement with additional grass in the winter when it only grows over the septic tank. Lol. He also gets other turtle-safe plants all year.
Thank you