Outdoor Enclosure Temperature and Humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

5 Year Member
We have a Russian Tortoise and I am going to build an outdoor enclosure I have most of the issues handled in my design but the one thing that I am having trouble with is; How do you control temperature and humidity in outdoor enclosures? We live in southern California so our coolest average low is 40 and our warmest average high is 83 so our extremes are maybe depending on the year a day or two at freezing and a day or two each year in the 100's.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Chris, and welcome to the Forum!

Since no one controls the temperature for a Russian living outdoors in his native territory, I'm wondering why, living in such a good climate, you feel you have to worry about that? Russian tortoises hibernate during the winter, so he won't even notice if the temperature gets cold. The only thing you have to worry about in the winter is keeping him dry while he hibernating. And if you don't want to allow him to hibernate,you will have to make him an indoor habitat with lights, heat, etc. for during the winter.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I house a russian outdoors in so cal no problem.

Make sure the enclosure is secure and he cant escape.
Make sure it gets a few hours of sunlight a day.
Plant it well (water daily and weeds will spring up on their own) so he can graze for food.

You dont need to control temps and humidity if you have these down :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Abe said:
Hi guys i would love to ask if anyone of you have a problem with an ant at outdoor enclosure.How to get rid or preventing them?Thanks.

Different strategies work with different ant species. I have no idea what will work for ants in east Borneo. Try some poison granules dumped into the anthill. Cover this for a couple of hours with a milk crate or something similar to keep the tortoise off of it and let the ants pull the bait down into their hole.

P.S. Next time you ought to start your own thread for questions like this. :)

We have a Russian Tortoise and I am going to build an outdoor enclosure I have most of the issues handled in my design but the one thing that I am having trouble with is; How do you control temperature and humidity in outdoor enclosures? We live in southern California so our coolest average low is 40 and our warmest average high is 83 so our extremes are maybe depending on the year a day or two at freezing and a day or two each year in the 100's.

They will control their own temp by moving in and out of their hides or burrows and in or out of the sun and shade.

They will control their humidity by moving into or out of burrows, hides, and irrigated weed patches. Humidity is not critical for adult Russians, by the way.

I too am in the process of building some outdoor Russian housing and I plan to make some underground shelters for them to be able to avoid the temperature extremes. Above ground is too cold in the winter on those occasional below freezing nights, and too hot during the day for about six months of the year. Their in ground shelters will keep them cooler in the summer and above freezing in the winter.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Tom said:
I too am in the process of building some outdoor Russian housing and I plan to make some underground shelters for them to be able to avoid the temperature extremes. Above ground is too cold in the winter on those occasional below freezing nights, and too hot during the day for about six months of the year. Their in ground shelters will keep them cooler in the summer and above freezing in the winter.

Tom, I can't wait for you to post about your Russian boxes so i can copy you!! Lol
When is that thread coming??? :)

[email protected]

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Abe said:
Hi guys i would love to ask if anyone of you have a problem with an ant at outdoor enclosure.How to get rid or preventing them?Thanks.

Different strategies work with different ant species. I have no idea what will work for ants in east Borneo. Try some poison granules dumped into the anthill. Cover this for a couple of hours with a milk crate or something similar to keep the tortoise off of it and let the ants pull the bait down into their hole.

P.S. Next time you ought to start your own thread for questions like this. :)

They will control their own temp by moving in and out of their hides or burrows and in or out of the sun and shade.

They will control their humidity by moving into or out of burrows, hides, and irrigated weed patches. Humidity is not critical for adult Russians, by the way.

What are your spec's on the underground shelters? How deep? How wide? Etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.