Outdoor enclosure

LillyBean

Location (City and/or State)
Omaha, NE
I am building an outdoor enclosure for my russian. I am trying to figure out where to put it. If i put it near the house, it wont get any sun. I can put it under my tree but then it will be shady all day. Only other option is where it will be in the sun all day. Any suggestions on which will be best? I'm in Nebraska

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I am building an outdoor enclosure for my russian. I am trying to figure out where to put it. If i put it near the house, it wont get any sun. I can put it under my tree but then it will be shady all day. Only other option is where it will be in the sun all day. Any suggestions on which will be best? I'm in Nebraska

Personally I would put it in the sun and make sure you create shade with objects, plenty of planting, maybe even an underground hide box.

If it’s in the shade all day your tort may not be able to warm up comfortably enough.

I asked a similar question on this forum 6 months ago and that was the general consensus.

Be good to see your enclosure once finished.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
One thing I would say is be careful that those black flower pots don’t overheat. You need to cover them completely with soil or cover a section of the enclosure. I learnt that lesson, when the sun hit my terracotta pot that I put in for shade I Took the temp and it heated up like a hot plate. In the end I covered a section of the enclosure with a flat piece of wood. If you look on my profile pic you will see what I mean. Other than that I think it’s great!