Outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owlii

5 Year Member
Hello everyone! It's been quite some time since I've actually posted in the forums [sorry about that]!
I had a few questions concerning the outdoor 8' x 8' enclosure I just built for my sulcata. She [or at least I think it's a girl] is about 6 and a half inches long and weighs in at a little more than two pounds and is around 25 months old. That all being said, if I leave her outside during the day and bring her in to her normal indoor enclosure at night, do I need to put some sort of protective covering over her enclosure while she is outside? I've given her a burrow, and plan on going to the Plant nursery soon to pick up a few succulents and shrubs for her to munch on as well as hide in, but I am still a little worried about leaving her outside without a top to the enclosure. I let her roam around in her enclosure today, but I was home and could go out frequently and check on her. [it's when I am not home that scares me]

Any suggestions?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
Better safe than sorry. I cover mine even if I am standing right there. Cats are fast and I have plenty of feral ones where I live. Of course, mine are all way smaller than yours.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This will differ depending on many factors, and a big one would be where you are. In the middle of a city, there is less risk of dangerous wildlife, but possibly more risk of thieves or dogs.

Everyone must assess this risk for themselves and their own area. I don't cover my large outdoor enclosures for tortoises that size, but that doesn't mean somebody else shouldn't, if their area dictates it. I DO cover my enclosures for smaller tortoises.

Owlii

5 Year Member
Tom said:
This will differ depending on many factors, and a big one would be where you are. In the middle of a city, there is less risk of dangerous wildlife, but possibly more risk of thieves or dogs.

Everyone must assess this risk for themselves and their own area. I don't cover my large outdoor enclosures for tortoises that size, but that doesn't mean somebody else shouldn't, if their area dictates it. I DO cover my enclosures for smaller tortoises.

I live in a rural-ish area. We do have two hawks in the area and I hear the two of them all the time. My acre yard has a six foot chain link fence around it so I am not really worried about other predators... just the hawks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Coyotes, raccoons and dogs can all easily hop 6' chain link, and since they can see what's inside they might be more inclined to.

Everything is a risk. You just have to weigh the pros and cons. It would not be too hard to make a lid for an 8x8' enclosure. Check this out: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-30683.html

Owlii

5 Year Member
I will probably end up making a lid for the enclosure even if it's just for my own peace of mind. I'd rather be safe than sorry. =]

Status
Not open for further replies.