Outdoor excercise area

Jakoob1190

Location (City and/or State)
St Austell
Hello! I have a horse field tortoise (around 1 year old) and he's not getting much excercise. I cannot let him run around the house, as I know he would poop allover the floor. I want to let him run outside, but am afraid as there are alleays birds around, is there any way I can make a large enclosure that I can just put up everything he goes oustide or is there some other way for him to get excercise? Thanks, all answers are much appreciated! [emoji3]

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
The reason you don’t let your tort run around the house because it isn’t safe . Your tort would taste test everything electric cords , carpet fuzz ,and dust .
In the winter your tort will not get much exercise! That’s why we all wish winter to get over even here in AZ . But then if you don’t cover the tort enclosure you’ll have still watch for the birds . But safe is more important then excercise!
IMG_2188.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you provide a big enough enclosure indoors there is no need to ever allow him out of the enclosure. Allowing a tortoise to know there is more to the world than what's inside his four walls is a mistake in my opinion. Then all he does is scratch in the corners and climb the walls, trying to get out.

Jakoob1190

St Austell
Hello! Thank you for responding, his indoor enclosure is 120cm X 60cm, is this big enough? He is only around 1 year old. Thanks.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Hi and welcome!
Horsefields or Russian tortoises need a lot of space. An adult needs an 8ft x4 ft space. The more space your tort has the happier he'll be. There are lots of ways to build a bigger enclosure. One way is to use an old bookshelf. Take out the shelves, line it with a shower curtain, fill it with substrate and there you go!
You can also look in the enclosure section for other great ideas.
Also check out these threads to find helpful information about caring for your tortoise:
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Hope that is helpful :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello! Thank you for responding, his indoor enclosure is 120cm X 60cm, is this big enough? He is only around 1 year old. Thanks.
Hi

Your baby is far too small to cope outside yet.

You need to provide an enclosure with steady warmth night and day and high humidity when they're this size.

Horsfield's are very active and your enclosure while suitable for a baby of it has a cover really needs to be bigger. Ultimately you are aiming for 1.5x2.2m ... about 4 times what you have!

Please read the links in the preceding post. They are written by a species expert working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and sadly from some breeders and vets too.

We are happy to look over photos of your enclosure and lighting to see if there are any changes we would recommend.

Jakoob1190

St Austell
Hi

Your baby is far too small to cope outside yet.

You need to provide an enclosure with steady warmth night and day and high humidity when they're this size.

Horsfield's are very active and your enclosure while suitable for a baby of it has a cover really needs to be bigger. Ultimately you are aiming for 1.5x2.2m ... about 4 times what you have!

Please read the links in the preceding post. They are written by a species expert working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and sadly from some breeders and vets too.

We are happy to look over photos of your enclosure and lighting to see if there are any changes we would recommend.
Hello! Thanks for the quick responses again. This is my enclosure. I have a detachable second level which goes over the second picture, should I put it back? The problem with it was that he kept going underneath it, where it is cold and didn't come back out, so I had to take him out. Also, I have a heat mat, but he never goes on it! Online some places say that I should put it on the floor and others say on the side, what do you think? Anyways, thanks!MVIMG_20181231_094559.jpegMVIMG_20181231_094605.jpegMVIMG_20181229_095426.jpeg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Babies like this need to be raised in a warm humid environment 24/7. This is impossible in an open enclosure. I am not a fan of two storey enclosures for the reasons you say. You have clearly received outdated advice on the care of your tortoise.

I am going to write my advice in list format, sorry of it seems a bit lengthy.

1. An open table such as you have is not suitable for a baby. You need a cover over the enclosure to hold in the warmth and humidity needed for a baby to be healthy. This can be in a vivarium with a very large floor area or some people use a plant tent like this

2. The substrate must be an earthy type that will hold moisture. Wood chips are not suitable they are far too dry. Coco coir or fine grade orchid bark are both great and cheapest when bought from Amazon or a DIY or garden store. Don't buy anything with additives such as calcium pieces (why would you encourage a tortoise to eat the substrate?), sand, fertilisers or vermiculite.

The substrate should be 3-4"/ 7-10cm deep. Mix the the substrate with water and stir with your hands until all of it is evenly damp right to the bottom and into the corners. The damp substrate together with the cover raises humidity. You are aiming for 80% plus humidity in the enclosure.

3. Getting the temperatures right is essential. Your baby needs temperatures no lower than 26C day and night. Without external heat, your tortoise cannot digest food, eat or be active and if it gets too cold at night it will take too long to get going next day. The covered enclosure helps to keep the heat in, but you will also need a Ceramic Heat Emitter and a thermosat running 24/7 to maintain this. Use a ceramic lamp holder for the CHE as the heater will melt a plastic one.

4. Your tortoise must be able to bask at 35-37C directly under the basking lamp. Use a Temperature Gun Thermometer to measure accurately and adjust the temperature under the lamp by raising or lowering it. The basking lamp must be on for 14 hours a day with complete darkness at night; use a timer to make life easy for yourself.

5. Hopefully your basking lamp is actually a Mercury Vapour Bulb (MVB) which also emits UVB light. Be aware that the UVB output of these bulbs fails long before the bulb blows. You can test it with a UV meter or replace the bulb every 9 months without fail. It must hang vertically, not be at an angle. Those clamp fittings are not to be trusted. They are not secure and the falling lamp is a fire risk. You can buy Lamp Stands to hang the lamps from.

6. If your basking bulb isn't an MVB then you need a separate UVB lamp. Don't get a compact screw thread bulb that looks like a low energy light bulb as these cause eye problems in tortoises. Use a long fluorescent tube UVB lamp. The life span of these bulbs is years rather than the months of an MVB so they're good value. The UVB also needs to be on for 14 hours a day.

7. The reptile bowl you are using isn't suitable for tortoises. The sides are too steep and are a tipping hazard and they are hard for torts to use. A piece of flat rock or slate, or even the back (rough side) of a ceramic wall tile makes a great food plate which helps to keep the torts beak in shape by abrasion as it eats. A terracotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate is a great water dish.