Outdoor Heating Options.

Oogway the russian tort

The weather in California at the moment is very cold from its normal patterns and lots of rain. I was worried about Oogway and his nightbox as I didn't put any sort of heating only insulation and burred it. I was wondering the different types of option I can go with but I am limited on space as Oogway's night box is fairly small ( Length: 17" Width: 14" Height: 11 1/2" ). I was looking at CHEs but was worried about the distance from the top to the surface of the box as its only 5 inches. Then I was looking at this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MDN81C3/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 . I was wondering if I could instead use this as an alternate heat source, unless the CHE won't burn Oogway due to limited space. Any other ideas or critics would be very much appreciated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I have no experience or knowledge of the one you posted.

A 12x12" RHP with a thermostat would work perfectly to maintain ambient where you want it. Mount it to the lid.

An RHP will keep the ambient warm but it won't give the tortoise an area to bask and warm up. Here is how I solved this problem for my Chersina which has similar temperature requirements to a Russian. I use an oil heater to keep the night temp around 60. Then on a cold rainy day, the heat lamp kicks on so the tortoise can bask and warm up. The heat lamp doesn't come on during warmer sunny weather. This is a divided box for a male on one side and a female on the other.
IMG_7257.JPG
IMG_7256.JPG

Doing it this way allows me to properly manage the environment regardless of what the crazy weather does, and it allows me the perfect place to lead into, and out of, hibernation. All the heating and lighting is unplugged in winter because they hibernate. Likewise, its all unplugged during late spring through early fall, because the weather is warm and sunny and they don't need it. This set up is most advantageous and useful during early spring and late fall.

Oogway the russian tort

I have no experience or knowledge of the one you posted.

A 12x12" RHP with a thermostat would work perfectly to maintain ambient where you want it. Mount it to the lid.

An RHP will keep the ambient warm but it won't give the tortoise an area to bask and warm up. Here is how I solved this problem for my Chersina which has similar temperature requirements to a Russian. I use an oil heater to keep the night temp around 60. Then on a cold rainy day, the heat lamp kicks on so the tortoise can bask and warm up. The heat lamp doesn't come on during warmer sunny weather. This is a divided box for a male on one side and a female on the other.
View attachment 289920
View attachment 289921

Doing it this way allows me to properly manage the environment regardless of what the crazy weather does, and it allows me the perfect place to lead into, and out of, hibernation. All the heating and lighting is unplugged in winter because they hibernate. Likewise, its all unplugged during late spring through early fall, because the weather is warm and sunny and they don't need it. This set up is most advantageous and useful during early spring and late fall.
For your heat lamps are you using CHEs, Halogens, or Mecury vapor bulbs?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
For your heat lamps are you using CHEs, Halogens, or Mecury vapor bulbs?
None of the above.

CHEs are no good for this application because for a basking area I want heat AND light.

Halogens are no good because they make too much IR-A and cause pyramiding.

MVBs run way to hot in a closed enclosure or night box like this, and also generate very high levels of IR-A which causes pyramiding.

I use regular incandescent flood bulbs from the local hardware store.

Oogway the russian tort

None of the above.

CHEs are no good for this application because for a basking area I want heat AND light.

Halogens are no good because they make too much IR-A and cause pyramiding.

MVBs run way to hot in a closed enclosure or night box like this, and also generate very high levels of IR-A which causes pyramiding.

I use regular incandescent flood bulbs from the local hardware store.
Alright will do. Thanks for your advice saved me money and time.