Outdoor hides

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa FL
Looking for outdoor hide ideas. Wanting something that will look good or natural in my landscaping.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
There's a YouTube vid from kamp kebab where he digs a trench and buries half a corrugated pipe. Kind of like the trash can but its actually buried not just covered. Since redfoots don't dig I wasn't sure if they'd like it. But it looks nice because you can't see the pipe at all.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I saw that. I wouldn't mind having a few of those in my tortoise yards.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've got some of that pipe. I didn't keep it buried because I got tired of crawling on my belly in the dirt to get them out of it. yes. they LOVE THEM.
The "flip open"top idea suites my needs better, but covered with soil and plants would insulate better and certainly look better.

Attachments

• 20150611_171016.jpg
    20150611_171016.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 32
  • 20150515_150957.jpg
    20150515_150957.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
That pot looks pretty good. I've seen tortoiseless people do that. I wish I could think of something to cover the pipe with. Somebody needs to make garden art that doubles as tortoise hides. Could be a hit at reptile shows. My wife isn't all that in to torts. I have to keep things looking good or else...!

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
Maybe some ferns could cover the plastic pipe and hold humidity.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
That pot looks pretty good. I've seen tortoiseless people do that. I wish I could think of something to cover the pipe with. Somebody needs to make garden art that doubles as tortoise hides. Could be a hit at reptile shows. My wife isn't all that in to torts. I have to keep things looking good or else...!
A tip about the pipes...Place them on higher ground so that they wont fill with water in a downpour. I also face mine at a slightly downward pointing angle to stay 100% dry inside. The torts still feel like they are going down into a tunnel, but are actually climbing a small hill.
You can cover them with a soil mound and even plant grass on top. It's look great. No reason to dig and bury them.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
Yeah I could cover them with that "wall garden" stuff then attach all kinds of plants! Good idea!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
There's a nursery nearby that sell stuff for outside gardens and they let cracked and/or damaged pots go for cheap.
I think a lot of places do. Just tell them it's for decoration. Even one with one whole side bashed in would work.
Other wise big pots get expen$ive!

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
ZP is that your corrugated pipe? What size did you get, 6"? That's the biggest I could find but it seems like it would be too small.

k8tburt

Tampa
My redfoot has outgrown her washing-up bowl hide so she got an upgrade to a castle today!! Thought I would share just to give others ideas. It’s an upside down plastic planter that is pegged down with garden stakes. Pics of old and new attached.IMG_4496.jpegIMG_4494.jpeg

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
My redfoot has outgrown her washing-up bowl hide so she got an upgrade to a castle today!! Thought I would share just to give others ideas. It’s an upside down plastic planter that is pegged down with garden stakes. Pics of old and new attached.View attachment 373136View attachment 373135
Good idea and a gorgeous tortoise! Do you have photos of the overall enclosure? The fragment I see looks very nice.