outdoor house of cedar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
A very nice gentleman made me an outdoor house for my torts but I am a bit concerned because he used cedar on three of the 4 walls. He said it was because it will hold up better to the elements. I have heard cedar is bad news for torts. Do you think it will be ok due to it being outside, he thought so. I hope so because its really nice. What do you all think?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Sorry to say but because it is a house, I'm afraid that the aromatic fumes would be concentrated inside and effect the torts health. Perhaps you can find another use for it in your garden.

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Itort said:
Sorry to say but because it is a house, I'm afraid that the aromatic fumes would be concentrated inside and effect the torts health. Perhaps you can find another use for it in your garden.

so sad. Maybe I will try to take it apart and do away with the cedar strips he used for walls and use plywood? Can there be any cedar or should I do away with every piece? Can I paint it if I use plywood, only on the outside of course.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
When you any wood outside, you would want to seal it on all sides and let it cure. That way it would hold up to the weather. A barn paint would work well and be nontoxic.

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Itort said:
When you any wood outside, you would want to seal it on all sides and let it cure. That way it would hold up to the weather. A barn paint would work well and be nontoxic.

What if I use barn paint on the cedar? Would that make it safer?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Perhaps, the use of cedar is because of it's weatherproof property so I've painted it. Another thought is using multiple coats of polyurathene.

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Itort said:
Perhaps, the use of cedar is because of it's weatherproof property so I've painted it. Another thought is using multiple coats of polyurathene.

So are you telling me I can barn paint or polyurathene it and make the house safe enough to use?

Feylin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I would think that if you used multiple coats of polyurathene it would seal the aromatic oils in the wood and keep them from hurting your torts.

Status
Not open for further replies.