Question on Tortoise outdoor hide

volcom6981

5 Year Member
So I got a few of these dog houses they were on sale. However after they came I noticed they were made of fir wood, but they stained it with a cedar.

Now I know Cedar is bad, my question is does anyone know if the cedar stain will lose its smell/fumes? These will be outside always in there big enclosure. I was also thinking of putting a plastic tub inside of the dog house, plus putting insulation on the inside. However before doing that just wanted to see what you guys thought. Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
The cedar stain is made with actual cedar? I've never heard of that. Are you sure its not regular stain that is "cedar" colored?

In my experience, dog houses don't work as heated night boxes. The dimensions are wrong, door is too big and too tall, they are too drafty, and by the time you seal, insulate, and fix all these things, you've spent more time and money than if you just built one of the correct size from scratch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So I got a few of these dog houses they were on sale. However after they came I noticed they were made of fir wood, but they stained it with a cedar.

Now I know Cedar is bad, my question is does anyone know if the cedar stain will lose its smell/fumes? These will be outside always in there big enclosure. I was also thinking of putting a plastic tub inside of the dog house, plus putting insulation on the inside. However before doing that just wanted to see what you guys thought. Thanks
I'd like to see a picture, if you please!

volcom6981

5 Year Member
The cedar stain is made with actual cedar? I've never heard of that. Are you sure its not regular stain that is "cedar" colored?

In my experience, dog houses don't work as heated night boxes. The dimensions are wrong, door is too big and too tall, they are too drafty, and by the time you seal, insulate, and fix all these things, you've spent more time and money than if you just built one of the correct size from scratch.

Going to be honest I'm not sure I wrote them and they said it's made of solid cedar-stained fir wood? So I have no idea.

It is the precision pet log cabin dog house. I was not going to use it as a heated hide, just a place they can go to hide or get out of rain. These are for Marginated, Greeks, Hermans.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Going to be honest I'm not sure I wrote them and they said it's made of solid cedar-stained fir wood? So I have no idea.

It is the precision pet log cabin dog house. I was not going to use it as a heated hide, just a place they can go to hide or get out of rain. These are for Marginated, Greeks, Hermans.
If they will use them, I think they will serve that purpose well.

If these things are sitting out in the open with open door, I can't imagine the fumes would be a problem. That is my best guess without being there and examining them in person.

Maybe let them air out in a breezy, sunny location for a few days before use, then give the smell test by sticking your head inside?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

this one?
dog house.jpg

It seems pretty big for such small species. I think it would be ok to use. You can leave it sitting in the sun for a few days for the scent to dissipate. The "cedar" in this case is referring to the color of the stain, not the type of wood. Your tortoises would be ok in this shelter.

Last edited:

volcom6981

5 Year Member
this one?
View attachment 271460

It seems pretty big for such small species. I think it would be ok to use. You can leave it sitting in the sun for a few days for the scent to dissipate. The "cedar" in this case is referring to the color of the stain, not the type of wood. Your tortoises would be ok in this shelter.

Yea that's the one. Yea it is big, but some of my Marginated are pretty big lol. Thanks for your help

Last edited by a moderator:

volcom6981

5 Year Member
Just an update on these, I really like these a lot. All my species of torts use these a lot, and my Marginated torts seem to use them as a mating box lol.

So I think I'll be getting more in the future for more of my pens.