Building tortoise table

RONALD WALTERS

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Arizona
Just a quick question about wood for building a tortoise table I know cedar should not be used so I'm getting a great deal on eucalyptus wood from someone. ....anyone know if there are problems using eucalyptus?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Never heard of it . I use lumber from home depot . Pine lumber is OK if painted and sealed .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Eucalyptus wood will give off fumes too.

What species and size tortoise are you building a table for?

RONALD WALTERS

Phoenix, Arizona
photo.php
Building it for a greek ibera tortoise age 2 1/2 months size approx 3" now center of table will be blocked off until he grows a little more then he'll have the run of both sides of table. What would you recommend for wood type to build it with? is plywood made out of something harmful?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I build my tortoise enclosure from plywood and 2x4s. Never had a problem. Have you considered how you will maintain humidity and warmth in an open table?

RONALD WALTERS

Phoenix, Arizona
I build my tortoise enclosure from plywood and 2x4s. Never had a problem. Have you considered how you will maintain humidity and warmth in an open table?

For warmth my house stays practically 80 degrees all year long i live in the desert and rarely goes below 70 outside. for humidity i spray down the coco coir and cypress mulch substrate daily and it stays between 60 and 70% humidity all the time. also have ability to do 2 mercury vapor bulb setups as well as 2 uvb strip lights for extra uvb in rest of enclosure