Outdoor Leopard Tort Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElizabethJane

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Montana
Hi all!! Was wondering if this would make a good enclosure for my leopard torts. Would it get too hot in there? It's usually pretty dry here during the summer, well actually all year round, so I was thinking this might help to keep the humidity a little better. Thanks!

GREENHOUSE.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
thats a great idea...youll have to make sure that you watch the temps closely
you wont want them to over heat in there but it will be great for humidity...
This would be great for red foot and yellow foot torts too!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have a plastic green house for my leopard for the early spring cooler temps and the cooler fall temps. The temp get into the 90's and the humidity gets way up also, 80+. The uv will not go through the plastic and in the summer heat, it would get way too hot. I take mine down for summer.

ElizabethJane

5 Year Member
Montana
Thanks everyone! Probably won't go with this idea then, if they won't be getting the UV. It does open completely on the one side, and has a screen opening on the other. I wonder if it would get cool enough with both these open?? And if they would get enough UV through the one opening??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Now, see, you didn't say that the first time. Heat rises, so with both tops open, it should be cool enough and with the one side not having any screen or plastic, they should be able to get enough uv. If you have cold spring and falls, it will help to extend the time they can go outside. I was able to let my leopard, who was only about 1 1/2 last fall go outside into October and part of November. Normally, because he is still very young, I wouldn't let him go out until the temp was 75 or above. Today, our temps were mid 40's but the green house got 91. It's a great purchase as far as I'm concerned.

ElizabethJane

5 Year Member
Montana
wellington said:
Now, see, you didn't say that the first time. Heat rises, so with both tops open, it should be cool enough and with the one side not having any screen or plastic, they should be able to get enough uv. If you have cold spring and falls, it will help to extend the time they can go outside. I was able to let my leopard, who was only about 1 1/2 last fall go outside into October and part of November. Normally, because he is still very young, I wouldn't let him go out until the temp was 75 or above. Today, our temps were mid 40's but the green house got 91. It's a great purchase as far as I'm concerned.

Great! Thanks so much :D. Spring and fall are definitely a bit too chilly for them here, so if this allows them to be outside for more of the year, I believe this is what I'm going to go with!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
If you had an enclosure twice that size :D , the plastic could cover part of the enclosure but your tortoise could get 'outside' to the open part in warmer weather. That would be extra protection if you weren't around to open it up.
The other idea is to have a couple of microsprayers on a drip system that go off for 10 minutes 2-3x per day. And lots of foliage.

ElizabethJane

5 Year Member
Montana
lynnedit said:
If you had an enclosure twice that size :D , the plastic could cover part of the enclosure but your tortoise could get 'outside' to the open part in warmer weather. That would be extra protection if you weren't around to open it up.
The other idea is to have a couple of microsprayers on a drip system that go off for 10 minutes 2-3x per day. And lots of foliage.

Great idea!! They actually have ones like that at homedepot.com, half covered, half not. I would just have to make a cover for the one side to keep out neighborhood animals!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That would work; 2x2" or 2x4" frame with a lid, covered with hardware cloth (1/2 to 1" holes depending on the critters you are blocking out; you don't want the screen holes to be too small and block the UV).
Laurie attached her wire with screws and large washers (MUCH easier than U hooks, which 'moi' did).
You can make a frame from PVC pipe and fittings too. This would work against birds but not raccoons. So again, depends on what you have in your area.

ElizabethJane

5 Year Member
Montana
lynnedit said:
That would work; 2x2" or 2x4" frame with a lid, covered with hardware cloth (1/2 to 1" holes depending on the critters you are blocking out; you don't want the screen holes to be too small and block the UV).
Laurie attached her wire with screws and large washers (MUCH easier than U hooks, which 'moi' did).
You can make a frame from PVC pipe and fittings too. This would work against birds but not raccoons. So again, depends on what you have in your area.

Thanks! PVC is an awesome idea! I was thinking chicken wire, I'm not sure what hardware cloth is, so google here I come! We don't have much for animals, mostly just the occasional cat or loose dog. I've yet to see a raccoon, so I don't think I have to worry about them. We do have deer in our yard often, but I don't think they pose much of a threat..?? Besides trying to eat all my plants, lol!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Other terms are wire mesh, or wire fencing, etc. This wire tends to have square holes.
A strong dog could tear off chicken wire, but not the stronger wire. So if dogs do roam, that is a consideration.
Hardware stores sell this stuff (even ACE) in rolls. If the PVC frame was securely attached to the base, you could use the stronger wire and zip tie it on.

ElizabethJane

5 Year Member
Montana
lynnedit said:
Other terms are wire mesh, or wire fencing, etc. This wire tends to have square holes.
A strong dog could tear off chicken wire, but not the stronger wire. So if dogs do roam, that is a consideration.
Hardware stores sell this stuff (even ACE) in rolls. If the PVC frame was securely attached to the base, you could use the stronger wire and zip tie it on.

Ohhh ok! Cool! Can't wait to get started!! Thanks so much for all the help, :D very appreciated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.