Outdoor patio enclosure

Tort1419

I have a male Russian tortoise. My indoor enclosure is 31.25 square feet, and outdoor enclosures should be larger, but It would be very difficult for something to be made that is larger, And the weather is completely unpredictable where a live instead I'm thinking this:
Patio will be sealed off so he cat fall
. Have a nice box of substrate (the box will probably be 4" by 4" has a hide and a basking rock and that has easy access for him to leave and roam the patio
Put trays of plants to forage on, and pots of plants for shade and possibly food
Also I will have a tunnel and some other thing.
This way when I get home from school during the warmer months (and during the summer)

It will resemble a large outdoor enclosure the only difference is that not everything is covered in substrate and plants (mostly wood)
This way I can take my tortoise outside for a good three hours to get some MORE exercise and some natural sun
I can sit outside on the patio and do my homework while supervising him (there won't be anything dangerous but I still like to watch him)
Please let me know if this would be possible, if something seems dangerous let me know and I might be able to propose an explanation on how to fix it. I really want this to work but my tortoises health and happiness comes first.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Question, what is the flooring of the patio? That is what he would be on most of the time correct?

Rue

Canada
...This way when I get home from school during the warmer months (and during the summer)
...I can sit outside on the patio and do my homework while supervising him (there won't be anything dangerous but I still like to watch him)

I can just picture you...sitting outside for the next 130 years...doing your homework....:D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
nothing pops out as dangerous and as long as it's a dedicated place for the tortoise it should work out fine. if it has shelter, sunlight, plants and protection from the weather it works. All of my tortoises are outside in enclosures and I often sit out there and watch them during the day.

Tort1419

Even if the ground is not all substrate and mostly wood, and I would have to make sure the ground temps are not too hot. Thanks for the reply

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Is the patio covered? If not is there any danger of predators/birds getting onto the patio and picking him up?
I can't remember where you are located.

Tort1419

I do have a section of it that is covered but I wasn't going to put him in it. It has mesh screens and I don't think he would get much sunlight. But I will be out there to make sure that nothing harms him in the three hours or so he is outside. I live in indiana