Outdoor Rubbermaid Shed and Humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Okay - after reading all the enclosure posts that didn't use greenhouses, I decided this last weekend to remove Tank's greenhouse rather than spend more $$ for one for Bump's (quarantined for a few more months and I can use the old greenhouse to grow weeds:rolleyes:). I use a rubbermaid shed that is 4.5wx3'L with two doors - one is fixed in placed. Vinyl strips cover the other doorway with the door open during the day. I have a dehumidifier inside the shed (indicators constantly read "Dry" - so I think I wasted money on it) I have 150 watt ceramic heat emitter (was using a black bulb also in each but was given these so I'll use them this winter). I also got new digital and dial thermometer/hygrometers. I didn't have this problem last fall/winter with Tank's shed but I'm sure having it now and can't figure it out. Here's my problem:

According to both my digital combo temp/hygrometer and the separate dial type in each, the humidity is sometimes higher than the temp (example: 7pm: 72 temp 45% humidity; 9pm: last night: 69 temp; 69% humidity; 6am 58 temp; 70% humidity). Do I increase the heat (adding back the black bulb and maybe a pig blanket), insulate more or what? (temps taken at tort level). I'm wondering too if those of you who use Dog Igloos or deck boxes have any problem with humidity levels like this - what do you do?

BTW: Bump still sleeps inside at night and Tank is sleeping in his concrete block hide until I figure this out! We're in the Central Valley of CA low temps in the mid 50s.

Thanks! Tank says: Please help this woman out so she'll quit messing around with my space! Oh, and thank you.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I just learned on another forum that the cooling condensation will cause a rise in humidity and that I should not be concerned. (Thought I 'd share the response in case anyone else out there was wondering).

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have heard the same thing, and I have not worried about it. The cooler air outside is helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.