Outdoor russian enclosure questions

mini_max

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
Our russian tortoise is approaching 1. We plan to build him a flowerbed along the south facing fence in our back yard enclosed with cement blocks or wood ties. This will be 15 to 20 feet long. So I'm wondering how wide. Would only 2.5 feet be ok given the length? We dont have that much depth to work with.

Also, we would dig in a barrier about 8 inches down on the fence side. Do I need it on the bottom and below the blocks or logs that we use to frame it out on the lawn side? Is he going to dig that far? And finally, if the answer is yes, would heavy grade landscaping fabric be sufficient?

Oh, and, in an enclosure of that size, if we give him a house on one end that could be heated for cool nights or rainy days, could he be trusted to seek it out as needed or will we have to ensure we place him there when it is necessary?

Thanks in advance!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It will be workable at that width. By being long, that's an added plus, as then they have a further walk before they come to a wall. Make it the 20' if you can. I have never saw my own Russians dig out, they may dig under something like a grass root clump or bush/paver. I know a rare few have had other experiences. Many folks lay pavers along the edge, but to me, since mine dig under the pavers it seems like giving mine own group more a reason or chance to dig out. I say no to the landscape fabric as it in my mind is a possibility of claws getting caught or them trying to eat it. These are just my thoughts and experiences, others have vastly different ones.

He may seek it on his own, but many folks will try to train theirs to go into the house or simply the caretakers put them into the house themselves at night.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
2.5 iis a tad shallow ( I guess that's a good word) but not bad, 3 or 4 feet would be better ( bigger is always better :) ) Here should seek out the heated hide on bhis own, you will need to discourage downward digging, I hope we get to seee pics of the finished project.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
2.5 iis a tad shallow ( I guess that's a good word) but not bad, 3 or 4 feet would be better ( bigger is always better :) ) Here should seek out the heated hide on bhis own, you will need to discourage downward digging, I hope we get to seee pics of the finished project.
I hope that I can get 4 feet. 2.5 is just my guesstimate from the kitchen window because I'm too lazy to go hiking through the snow with my tape measure!!

And, are you saying I should line the bottom then? If so what to use that will still allow drainage?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Yes line the bottom with bricks to discourage digging down, they often likke to dig deep burrows. There are several examples of russian enclosures with barriers to discourage them.