Need outdoor enclosure advice

Kaeloni

Location (City and/or State)
Montana
We’re going to be leveling our back yard and putting in new grass and fencing. My husband and I have been arguing about where the new tortoise enclosure will be. Next to our house we have a long area where we could build it. It looks narrow in the pictures but I measured it to be over 5 feet wide after the fence is in. The pros to this location is that I look out the living room windows and see it at all times without having to go outside. It’s also the largest area we have to offer. The problem with this location is that on the other side of that chain link fence is a dog named Smokey. If you’ve read what happened to my Vasili, you will understand why this causes me anxiety. Is it possible to make this 100% safe? To keep dogs from digging under my fence? I need all the advice I can get. Keep in mind when you look at the picture that there isn’t a fence there yet. It’s going to be a 7 foot privacy fence with locked gates at both ends. And please don’t judge the dead grass that is currently there. The only other location is on the other side of my house but my neighbors on that side are obsessed with their landscaping and spray chemicals on a regular basis. Where the enclosure is now, it’s up against my house in my back yard and my husband won’t let me keep it there. If you can’t tell I’m really stressed about this. I want my now 1 tortoise to have the best life possible and get to spend the warm months safely outside. Sorry for the long post.

Attachments

• 863C299C-BD11-4D60-BFE4-15E090578B9C.jpeg
    863C299C-BD11-4D60-BFE4-15E090578B9C.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 117

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I would love a project like the one you're about to embark on. Looks like a clean slate to work with. Looks like your biggest hurdle will be Smokey. Is that where you are putting in the privacy fence?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
main.php

A dog kennel style outdoor enclosure will protect your tortoises from outside predators.

Kaeloni

Montana
I would love a project like the one you're about to embark on. Looks like a clean slate to work with. Looks like your biggest hurdle will be Smokey. Is that where you are putting in the privacy fence?

We’re putting in privacy fence in the entire backyard and along the sides.

daniellenc

Maryland
If you have a privacy fence around a dog kennel you should be fine. It’s actually my current set up. Smokey wouldn’t be able to see in and have an extra barrier.

Kaeloni

Montana
If you have a privacy fence around a dog kennel you should be fine. It’s actually my current set up. Smokey wouldn’t be able to see in and have an extra barrier.

Thank you. That makes me feel better.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Can Smokey get to any of the other sides of your soon to be privacy fence?
If not, maybe you could put mesh under that one side, just like when I built Chug's enclosure. Called lath at Lowe's. Mine goes down 12 in below the wood. That should be enough to frustrate a dog if he doesn't have multiple days to work on it.
20170802_091743.jpeg20170802_091733.jpeg

Kaeloni

Montana
Can Smokey get to any of the other sides of your soon to be privacy fence?
If not, maybe you could put mesh under that one side, just like when I built Chug's enclosure. Called lath at Lowe's. Mine goes down 12 in below the wood. That should be enough to frustrate a dog if he doesn't have multiple days to work on it.
View attachment 247699View attachment 247700

Smokey can’t get to the enclosure from other sides but last week a large pit bull dug under a different part of my fence and killed my female. That’s the main reason we are redoing our fence. I will definitely buy that stuff to line the enclosure. Thank you for sharing!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Smokey can’t get to the enclosure from other sides but last week a large pit bull dug under a different part of my fence and killed my female. That’s the main reason we are redoing our fence. I will definitely buy that stuff to line the enclosure. Thank you for sharing!
You could also put it under the privacy fence on Smokey's side. Don't let him get into the yard in the 1st place?
I had read about Vascili...so very sorry that happened to you. I had my small dog on a leash, and my neighbor's pit bull attacked and killed him. No one could stop it...not me, her owner, or a bystander. It was the most brutal thing I have ever witnessed. Brody died in my arms. I cried when I read your account.

Kaeloni

Montana
You could also put it under the privacy fence on Smokey's side. Don't let him get into the yard in the 1st place?
I had read about Vascili...so very sorry that happened to you. I had my small dog on a leash, and my neighbor's pit bull attacked and killed him. No one could stop it...not me, her owner, or a bystander. It was the most brutal thing I have ever witnessed. Brody died in my arms. I cried when I read your account.

I’m so sorry about Brody. I’m glad that you weren’t harmed in the attack. Vasili’s death is the most brutal thing I have witnessed as well. I’ve become so paranoid about my only tortoise, Dimitry. I check on him constantly and I’m going to make myself crazy. I hope that once we get this project done I can relax a little.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I’m so sorry about Brody. I’m glad that you weren’t harmed in the attack. Vasili’s death is the most brutal thing I have witnessed as well. I’ve become so paranoid about my only tortoise, Dimitry. I check on him constantly and I’m going to make myself crazy. I hope that once we get this project done I can relax a little.
I hope so too. I understand...I was never fearful of any dog, but now I am afraid of big dogs. Not for myself, but for my dogs.
Make sure to post pix of your project in progress!

Alicia Hoogstra

Please remember that it's ABSOLUTELY not the dogs fault! It's their owners!!! Pitbulls are wonderful, ki d, and very loving dogs if their trained right, and exposed to other animals. I love my tortoises, and I love my dogs! They just don't mix[emoji4] if you're having issues with ANY breed of dog, I would absolutely call animal control...there are SO many tools, and dog training class that unless the dog is sick there is no excuse for digging attacking. You havea right to demand behavior changes from your neighbor who's dog digs under your fence, and if they are too lazy to do so, than also make them do the underground barrier! As far as the other attack by a DOG...not a breed..i truly believe that the owner should face charges, if not criminal, than civil. There are many lawyers that will take those cases for free and that's the only way people will have to become accountable for keeping their pets and other pets safe!

rjamesbeasley

Southend on sea (England)
Could you buy a metal cage and half bury it? That way any digging creatures wouldn't be able to tear anything out and squeeze through, the only issue would be price; a large metal cage wouldn't be cheap! (A bit like minority2's post)

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Build a 2 feet high enclosure to whatever dimensions you wish. Use hardware cloth on the bottom to prevent digging escapes. Use a heavy duty tarp as a lining on the galvanized steel hardware cloth before adding 8-12 inches of soil if you're worried your tortoise might get their hand caught in it or something.

Build a removable top for your outdoor enclosure and cover that with the same galvanized steel hardware cloth. Install hinges and some locks to deter curious people from messing with your tortoise. Anchor the corner sections into the ground if you don't your enclosure to be moved.

Tyty1389

Sarasota
My enclosure was pretty simple. It’s has just pressure treated plywood, with electrical fencing running around the perimeter. It’s less expensive and easier to plant. Plus I could make a pretty large enclosure this way. The bottom is just the ground. Granted I have redfoots and the only digging I get is when they are laying eggs.
Here is a picture IMG_1676.jpg

Kaeloni

Montana
Please remember that it's ABSOLUTELY not the dogs fault! It's their owners!!! Pitbulls are wonderful, ki d, and very loving dogs if their trained right, and exposed to other animals. I love my tortoises, and I love my dogs! They just don't mix[emoji4] if you're having issues with ANY breed of dog, I would absolutely call animal control...there are SO many tools, and dog training class that unless the dog is sick there is no excuse for digging attacking. You havea right to demand behavior changes from your neighbor who's dog digs under your fence, and if they are too lazy to do so, than also make them do the underground barrier! As far as the other attack by a DOG...not a breed..i truly believe that the owner should face charges, if not criminal, than civil. There are many lawyers that will take those cases for free and that's the only way people will have to become accountable for keeping their pets and other pets safe!

My intentions weren’t to condemn a specific dog breed. I apologize that it seemed that way.