Outdoor setups - cold climate

kcrawford457

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
My 2 year old sulcata is still at a size that he's doing just fine in the house at the moment. So this is future planning. For those of you that keep sulcatas in a colder climate, can I see your outdoor enclosures? I'm thinking a well-insulated and reinforced shed/small barn situation with a basking corner and overall heating to keep it plenty warm. The summers here are no issue, but once we get into October the temps start to drop much lower than is considered safe. We get snow in the winter months. Alternatively, if you keep your sulcata indoors all year round, what are your setups like for your bigger guys? Thanks!

Maddoggy

Vero Beach Florida
These are pics of a nightbox I built using the plan that Tom posted.Its 4x8ft. The front is 32 inches high and the back is 24 inches high. The next one I build will not be as high as Tom pointed out there is no need for it to be so high. it has a removable roof and is heated with a mini radiator type heater and a small computer fan for air circulation.I put the heater and fan on a reptile thermostat. I used a water proof poly case mounted in the rear for easy access. I found all the plans and pictures for this box on Toms post about building nightboxes

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    685.8 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    899.7 KB · Views: 5

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
In ohio a night box won't work as well as it does in Florida.
It won't give room to move around if you have winters like I do in Chicago.
A shed/barn with a night box in it would be a bit cheaper to heat. The night box can be heated to 80 day and night while the rest of the shed/barn can be heated from 60's at night then 75-80 during the day with an area for basking of 95-100. Making she the sully uses the night box to sleep in at night.
I have leopards not sulcata and heat a large shed. I use the radiator portable heater on a thermostat. Then each tort has a basking light and a heated hide.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like the idea of a shed rather than a night box because I can walk inside to clean it instead of propping open the lid and leaning in to clean it. Also on those really cold days when it's too cold for the tortoise to go out, the shed has some moving around room inside for him. This is just one example of my tortoise shed, but all my species have this same type shed: