When is too cold?

AlbertH

5 Year Member
Any experienced sulcata owners in the Hampton roads area in Virginia? I have a 5 year old male that I keep outside during the spring/summer/fall. I was wondering what is considered too cold to keep outside. His outdoor house is not climate controlled and I usually bring him in by now but he is still so active and I don't want to lock him up too early. The highs are 80-70s and night time lows are still in the 60s. The humidity is always high in this area.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I'm in California and my sully is already using his heated night box. It gets down in the 50s some nights. If you can provide your sully with a heated night box he will be able to stay outside much longer. A larger shed would be even better in your area, and might work all through winter if it is insulated enough. They can come out to eat even when it is very cold as long as they have a place to warm up afterwards.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I second the above. Now I have leopards, not a sulcata. Mine are out during the day even in the 60's if there is sun and no rain. They have a heat source and a shed they can go back into if it gets too cold for them. When the days stay in the 50's and nights even lower, with no near future of warmer temps, then I will move them into their winter shed.

kevantheman35

10 Year Member!
indiana
Before I built my night box I brought mine in if the low got down to 60. If it didn’t get warm during the day there was no reason to leave him out however

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Before I built my night box I brought mine in if the low got down to 60. If it didn’t get warm during the day there was no reason to leave him out however
Yes, if mine couldn't walk themselves into a warm place, I didn't put them out unless it was in the 70's. Having them be able to walk themselves into a warm hide if they want is soooo nice and gives much more time outside.

kevantheman35

10 Year Member!
indiana
Yes, if mine couldn't walk themselves into a warm place, I didn't put them out unless it was in the 70's. Having them be able to walk themselves into a warm hide if they want is soooo nice and gives much more time outside.

Absolutely. Mines sleeping in his barn as we speak. Current temp 77 which is about as low as it’s gotten in there so far.
IMG_6784.jpg

Bass.Isles

I'm in Florida, and mine will not even sleep out in the main part of her porch enclosure, which stays at about 84-85° at night, she climbs into her night box to sleep, which stays at around 88-91°.