Too cold outside??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichiLove

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans
Hi! I have a Sulcata who is almost 5 months old. We live in New Orleans, Louisiana and I was wondering how cold is too cold for your Tortoise to be outside in this cooler weather? I haven't been wanting to let him/her outside because I don't want him to get sick! Today the weather is around 75degrees and about 64% humidity. So I'm just not sure what's okay for him to be in. And I would'nt leave him outside all day long either, just for a little while to get some fresh air and real sunlight!

Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you have a temp gun, you could shoot the actuall ground temp in the sun. At 75, the ground temp in the sun might actually be warmer. I would put him out and maybe put a flat rock in the enclosure that will heat up even high for if he wants to go on it. Just make sure he as a little place of shade to get under incase he gets too hot.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its dry out here and I will let my small ones out on a sunny windless day, in a sheltered enclosure when its 65 or warmer because the ground and their carapace temps stay much higher than that.

With your humidity I would be more cautious about such cool temps though. I would say 70 degrees or more, sunny, and not windy, in a dry area and you should be totally fine. Don't hold me to this, as its just speculation, but that is what I would be comfortable with in your area, until I learned otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.