Outdoor sheds/boxes

Kane Durrant

Hello again. This isn't going to be for a while, but I like to get the knowledge nice and early. Do you guys keep your tortoise (mine's a sulcata baby atm) in a shed with a heated night box inside or just the shed and heat the whole thing thanks a lot. Kane.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It really depends upon the size of the tortoise. Your baby will stay in the house until he's big enough to not be carried away by birds. Once he gets to be about a year old, you can take him out during the day to a safe outdoor habitat and bring him back in at night. When he's big enough to stay out all the time, you can either have a night box inside a shed, a shed or just a night box. It's just a matter of what works for you and your tortoise.

Kane Durrant

It really depends upon the size of the tortoise. Your baby will stay in the house until he's big enough to not be carried away by birds. Once he gets to be about a year old, you can take him out during the day to a safe outdoor habitat and bring him back in at night. When he's big enough to stay out all the time, you can either have a night box inside a shed, a shed or just a night box. It's just a matter of what works for you and your tortoise.
Yeah I know it won't be for a while but I like to know what to expect and plan for to leave the space in our garden would a night box alone be suitable in the uk would u think? Can go as low as -5 Celsius rare but does happen at night in January.