Outdoor Tortoise Enclosure Heating?

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sebastopol
I’m nearly done building an outdoor enclosure for Cheerio, my salcata tortoise. I just put in some cotton insulation on the walls and roof. Next I’ll put in linoleum on the floor and walls. As for heating I’m thinking about putting a large reptile heating pad over the linoleum floor. Is that enough? It sometimes freezes here in Northern California. If you have any suggestions or concerns please let me know.
Thanks IMG_3279.jpgIMG_3283.jpgIMG_3284.jpgIMG_3287.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings

Do you have any plans for putting an inner layer of plywood over the insulation. I’m afraid if you don’t, it will quickly be ruined and pulled out or even eaten by your tortoise, ruined by water, or wet substrate. Id suggest another layer over top - like a sandwich.

For heat, Are you planning on a Radiant Heat Panel on the roof, and a pig blanket on the bottom?

Keep on with the updates..

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
A pig blanket on the floor is probably not enough. You get colder than we do in the central valley and I have both a Kane heat mat on the floor and a radiant heat panel in the ceiling. I don't even know if that would be enough for you. Your freezer door strips should overlap more and go all the way to the floor. Linoleum is probably a good idea. Try to seal it as well as you can. You don't want water seeping through.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You need to:
  • Cover the inside walls with plywood to insulate and protect your insulation. I don't think linoleum will do it.
  • Seal the inner plywood layer with caulking as you go.
  • Insulate and cover the floor. Linoleum should be okay for the floor, but insulation and sealing is a must.
  • Use an overhead RHP in combination with your heat mat, both controlled by a thermostat.
  • MOST IMPORTANT: Watch the temps very carefully as fall night temps start to drop. I think you are going to find that you can't keep it warm enough on cold nights. Please share your results so that everyone can learn from your experience.

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Sebastopol
You need to:
  • Cover the inside walls with plywood to insulate and protect your insulation. I don't think linoleum will do it.
  • Seal the inner plywood layer with caulking as you go.
  • Insulate and cover the floor. Linoleum should be okay for the floor, but insulation and sealing is a must.
  • Use an overhead RHP in combination with your heat mat, both controlled by a thermostat.
  • MOST IMPORTANT: Watch the temps very carefully as fall night temps start to drop. I think you are going to find that you can't keep it warm enough on cold nights. Please share your results so that everyone can learn from your experience.

Ok thanks I appreciate your help. Do you mean I can’t keep it warm on cold nights if I wasn’t to follow what you said? I’m gonna do that at give an update

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Sebastopol
Greetings

Do you have any plans for putting an inner layer of plywood over the insulation. I’m afraid if you don’t, it will quickly be ruined and pulled out or even eaten by your tortoise, ruined by water, or wet substrate. Id suggest another layer over top - like a sandwich.

For heat, Are you planning on a Radiant Heat Panel on the roof, and a pig blanket on the bottom?

Keep on with the updates..

Yeah I’m gonna go with what you said and use plywood, thanks. And yes I am wanting to use a RHP panel now :)

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Sebastopol
A pig blanket on the floor is probably not enough. You get colder than we do in the central valley and I have both a Kane heat mat on the floor and a radiant heat panel in the ceiling. I don't even know if that would be enough for you. Your freezer door strips should overlap more and go all the way to the floor. Linoleum is probably a good idea. Try to seal it as well as you can. You don't want water seeping through.

Ok thanks. The cold nights are really concerning to me, I’m definitely gonna be using more heat sources

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok thanks I appreciate your help. Do you mean I can’t keep it warm on cold nights if I wasn’t to follow what you said? I’m gonna do that at give an update
I'm not sure it will be warm enough even if you do follow all my suggestions, but those things will help.

You will need to carefully watch the temperatures in the box and have a plan "B" ready. I'd use a thermometer that records the highs and lows each day. Only your thermometer can tell you if your box and heating strategy are working. I'm curious about how well this will work.

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Sebastopol
Oh ok, hopefully that does work and if not I’ll be back here for suggestions [emoji23]

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Sebastopol
I'm not sure it will be warm enough even if you do follow all my suggestions, but those things will help.

You will need to carefully watch the temperatures in the box and have a plan "B" ready. I'd use a thermometer that records the highs and lows each day. Only your thermometer can tell you if your box and heating strategy are working. I'm curious about how well this will work.

Ok. What brand RHP would you recommend?

manetteaplin

5 Year Member
We are in southern Oregon so similar temps to Northern California. I have a double layer of your plastic/rubber on our entry but we also have a board we lock our guy and heat in the for the winter, our house is quite a bit bigger because in the winter it is his only space. I have a heater on a thermostat and two gages that I can check and get alerts on my phone as well as lights on a timer, I do need to rethink uv lights for this winter (if anyone has ideas) for warmer times of the year he has free run of his house and 30’x30’ yard.

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Sebastopol
So my RHP came in the mail today and I realized I need a thermostat for it, and I don't think my thermostat that came with my Kane heating pad will work for it. I've looked online for the right one and don't know what to get. Any recommendations?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Sebastopol
I got the 18” by 28” Kane heating pad, however I did not measure his outdoor enclosure well enough since I added insulation which made less room, so it pretty much covers the entire floor. There’s some room in from of the pad where Cheerio can go in case he gets too hot but it’s not a ton a room and I’m concerned it’s not enough. Any suggestions? I’d get another smaller heating pad but I know he’ll outgrow it.