Outdoor enclosure advice needed

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sebastopol
IMG_2668.jpg

So I recently purchased an outdoor doghouse large enough to house my 7 year old Sulcata. I don’t know the best way to insulate it and the best heating. So far I want to put extra base boards in the inside to protect the walls when he digs/burrows. Also I am thinking about putting a heating pad on the floor and put linoleum over to for protection, and some kind of fluff for him to nest in. As for insulation I want to put a natural cotton insulation in the walls and roof and protect it with either thin wood or more linoleum. Also I am making the door shorter for better insulation and putting a clear flap door over it. I also live in Northern California and it sometimes freezes in the winter, other than that the weather isn’t too cold. Please give me any suggestions or share your concerns if you have any with my current idea. Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most of the heating pads are not supposed to be covered. I wouldn't put linoleum on it. The easiest way I've found to insulate is to use the rigid foam sheets, then put a thin layer of plywood over that for protection from the tortoise.

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Sebastopol
Most of the heating pads are not supposed to be covered. I wouldn't put linoleum on it. The easiest way I've found to insulate is to use the rigid foam sheets, then put a thin layer of plywood over that for protection from the tortoise.

Ok thanks I’ll do that

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Sebastopol

Just curious what kind of foam sheets? Is there a specific brand you used?