Outdoor Tortoise Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

zurn

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Burbank, CA
I just got a tortoise table and have set up my greek tortoise in it.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Should I put his food in the shade inside his hideaway area or outside
2. Should the enclosure be in direct sunlight? (It seems the the temperatures are getting up to 110+ inside the hideaway, which seems really bad)

Thank you.

Zach

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
the food should be placed outside of the hide.. and it should not be in direct sun with that type of heat... its needs natural shade, with options.

yoda3106

5 Year Member
Hello mate,

I have 3 Greeks in an outdoor enclosure in Cyprus lol so I would like to think I could answer these questions lol

Question 1, the food should be inside the enclosure but in an area that is shaded all the time to prevent it from drying out!! I always get this problem lol

Question 2, ideally, the enclosure should get sun in the morning and shade in the afternoon!! When the sun rises, have a look we're it hits, then in the afternoon, check again to see if the part that was in sun in the morning, is now in shade due to the suns movement!! More than likely this will be your ideally spot!! Still put a lot of hiding areas/shaded areas so that when your tort wakes up naturally, if he can't bare to be in the sun straight away, he can still get away from it!!

Hope his helps!! Anymore questions, let me know dan

zurn

10 Year Member!
Burbank, CA
Thank you all for your replies. I will be making sure he has shade always. Dan, thanks for your experienced information. I will set up the enclosure the way you specified.

yoda3106

5 Year Member
zurn said:
Thank you all for your replies. I will be making sure he has shade always. Dan, thanks for your experienced informations to. I will set up the enclosure the way you specified.

No problem, anytime!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.