Outdoor?

Is it a good idea to keep a tortoise outside in western Washington?

• Yes

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Shertle78

5 Year Member
I really want to give my Russian tortoise an outdoor pen for the summer. I live in Western Washington and was wondering if the weather is okay to keep a tortoise outside in the summer. We get some rain and pretty mild temperatures of about 60-90 degrees. Sometimes it is a bit humid, though I'm not sure what the humidity is. Also, I have no idea how to make an outdoor pen. Preferably on the deck (has the most sunlight and available room)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
As long as he has shelter when it rains, and isn't forced to be out in a wet, cold rain, yes, its quite ok.

pandio

Boise, ID.
I'm from Western Wa but am in Boise now. I have mine out from march till sept/Oct. They have a shelter and burrows that they go in when it rains or gets too hot/cold. If you want to make it on your deck you would need to make the substrate deep enough to burrow in. I just have mine in my yard. I spray the pens down when its hot and I also pile my grass clippings in there for them to hide in. They get sun and have shaded areas. I've added a few small bushes and some weeds and a little grass.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I am in Western Washington. You have to work a bit harder in our climate to keep tortoises happy and OUTSIDE, but it can be done.
Mine have a cold frame leading to an outdoor run. You could do this on the deck, but make sure the bottom of the enclosure is open for drainage. You could line it with heavy duty weed barrier, then some gravel, then 12" (approx) of soil.

Here is a view of mine when first built, lid closed and lid open; cold frame on the far end:
IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0011.JPG
This is a PVC/greenhouse plastic cover that I keep on during the colder months. It helps to extend the season, but has been removed now.
IMG_1097.JPG IMG_1098.JPG

tortoro

Bremerton, Washington
I am in Western Washington. You have to work a bit harder in our climate to keep tortoises happy and OUTSIDE, but it can be done.
Mine have a cold frame leading to an outdoor run. You could do this on the deck, but make sure the bottom of the enclosure is open for drainage. You could line it with heavy duty weed barrier, then some gravel, then 12" (approx) of soil.

Here is a view of mine when first built, lid closed and lid open; cold frame on the far end:
View attachment 81874 View attachment 81875
This is a PVC/greenhouse plastic cover that I keep on during the colder months. It helps to extend the season, but has been removed now.
View attachment 81876 View attachment 81877
That is an awesome setup. Currently, all 3 of my females are indoors (new male also indoors, but on quarantine), and I always wanted to build an outdoor run, but was under the (obvious, now, lol) misconception that it is too wet here! Learn something every day!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Being near the house, there is an outdoor plug nearby. So I have a basking light on a timer, and a little heater in there for background heat. That extends their time outdoors longer.
But even w/o ancillary heat, your tortoise could be outside 6 months per year in our climate, as long as there is a cold frame or greenhouse to provide a dry area, with access to the tortoise run. That way, even if there is sun for an hour, they can go out,then back in if it is a cold rain.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
And check Craigslist for cold frames (Freecycle too, but harder to find there).
Basically mine is a raised bed with a cold frame on one end.

Good luck!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Lyn, that's an awesome PVC cover. Could you say more about how it's constructed & attached?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
What a nice and well thought-out enclosure. Thank you for sharing it. I learn some idea today.