Outside during thunderstorms???

Status
Not open for further replies.

AslInterpreter

5 Year Member
Hello everyone! We live in Missouri and have some NASTY storms that blow thru here. I was curious about what you do with your torts during heavy storm activity??? We have a 5 year old Sulcata and my wife makes me bring him inside whenever it starts getting bad.

What are your thoughts??

Thanks in advance.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
at five, you still can.. good luck doing that in a few years!
doesnt he have a shed or a protected area? As long as he can stay warm, its ok.
Mine like the rain.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
My Sulcata stay's outside 24/7 we only brought him in once when we had the ice/snow storm before the superbowl because his out door enclosure was not 100% complete. Now we are good and with his house being insulated and having 2 good heat sources he has no reason to be inside.. Of course my 5 year old is 30 pounds and can get a little distructive, so I rather have him outside..

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
I have some 4" red-foots outside in the storms, and they're just fine. I wouldn't worry at all.

-Matt

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I am in West County (MO) and I have 5 sulcatas, one yellow foot, one burmese brown, and two leopards currently outside. More will join them as size becomes adequate enough that I feel confident in their robustness.

They do just fine for me.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Only thing I worry about is bad hail...anything over the size of a cherry, I run outside and make sure they're in the rock "caves" I built 'em. :tort:

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Terry Allan Hall said:
Only thing I worry about is bad hail...anything over the size of a cherry, I run outside and make sure they're in the rock "caves" I built 'em. :tort:

I have never seen hail larger than a cherry! That must hurt to be running around in it to check the torts!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jeffrey:

All of my outside tortoises that are acclimated to living outside, stay out in all kinds of weather. I just make sure they are all inside their houses if it starts to rain. But I don't block them in. If they come out during a storm, so be it. I used to have pictures of Dudley (100lb sulcata) with snow on his back, but I can't find them now.

If the tortoise is one that just goes outside for the day and back inside at night, then I don't leave him out in inclement weather.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Today is day 2 for my RF outside. It is very humid and suppose to rain. I will let you know how she fairs. Right now I am more concerned that the sun isn't out and the temp isn't up where I want it to be....but it is suppose to get there by noon. I feel confident that she is okay.

AslInterpreter

5 Year Member
Thank you all for the quick replies!! Today we will remodel the Tortise hut, I think that, in combination with your responses will help to satisfy my wife :) we do have some nasty hail sometimes....last year was tennis ball size that broke our skylights!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
CtTortoiseMom said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

I have never seen hail larger than a cherry! That must hurt to be running around in it to check the torts!

We occasoinally have golf-ball-sized (and bigger) out here in The Republic, and once lost a Leopard tort, who get smacked in the head by a golf-ball-sized hail-stone (she didn't make it to her cave in time :(), so I get and make sure now.

And yeah, anything that'll kill a tortoise can hurt pretty bad, so I always try to "round 'em up and tuck 'em in" before it gets that bad...if not, it's up to me to deal w/ whatever bruises come, because I accepted the responsibility of keeping them.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Ours stay outside during storms, only hatchlings come inside.

AslInterpreter

5 Year Member
Not sure if anyone saw the news of the storms that blew thru Missouri this weekend.....and the new house I built for Thomas worked great and he made it thru the storms just great!!! I think I am going to add some shingles to it tmrw :). We are just north of Joplin, the city that got hit really hard, and did not have any damage.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
It got nasty here in North Texas last night but nothing like Missouri, some of the damage is bad there..

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Terry Allan Hall said:
CtTortoiseMom said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

We occasoinally have golf-ball-sized (and bigger) out here in The Republic, and once lost a Leopard tort, who get smacked in the head by a golf-ball-sized hail-stone (she didn't make it to her cave in time :(), so I get and make sure now.

And yeah, anything that'll kill a tortoise can hurt pretty bad, so I always try to "round 'em up and tuck 'em in" before it gets that bad...if not, it's up to me to deal w/ whatever bruises come, because I accepted the responsibility of keeping them.
That is really sad about your poor leopard, I can imagine that the bad weather would slow them down even more. Hail the size of golf ball's must feel like being in a bomb zone during a war!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
CtTortoiseMom said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
CtTortoiseMom said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

That is really sad about your poor leopard, I can imagine that the bad weather would slow them down even more. Hail the size of golf ball's must feel like being in a bomb zone during a war!

That why I now go out and make sure they're in the rock (and mortar) "caves" I build 'em when we have hail coming down..."Hiero" was a beloved pet, particularily for my wife, and she was very sad about it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
AslInterpreter said:
Not sure if anyone saw the news of the storms that blew thru Missouri this weekend.....and the new house I built for Thomas worked great and he made it thru the storms just great!!! I think I am going to add some shingles to it tmrw :). We are just north of Joplin, the city that got hit really hard, and did not have any damage.

Hi Jeffrey:

I don't know if you wrote this post before the tornado or after...I hope you're still ok?

AslInterpreter

5 Year Member
My last post was right after the tornado hit!! We are a bit over an hour north of Joplin and did have have any damage here. It is horrible to see a town I pass thru often totally destroyed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.