Outside enclosure for adult RT and 8 month old Sully

Status
Not open for further replies.

StellaRT

5 Year Member
Hi all!
I haven't posted in a while, my husband got orders to report to Fort Rucker, AL with 3 weeks notice. But here we are now, we've been here almost a week.

Since it's so much more humid and feels cooler than Oklahoma, I really really want my torts to live outside! I have them in a TEMPORARY makeshift enclosure made of green garden fencing with a couple of hides. They have been really active so I assume they are living it up! I check on them obsessively but so far, they have not escaped. My RT is very persistent about climbing over the fencing!
The ambient temp has been staying around 90 degrees F and the humidity has been pretty high. It dews every night into the morning and they have been happily munching away on the grass.
My brain is still frazzled so I may be forgetting a few details.
What I hope to do is create a spacious tort haven with both of them in their separate areas, access to all the tender grass they want, and plenty of access to shade and water.
For the winter, I have their inside enclosures from when we lived in Oklahoma, I will just need more coco coir for them and they're ready to go.
Hiccup is the 8 month old Sully and Stella is the adult RT.
I love those little guys and their large personalities!
ImageUploadedByTortForum1376233024.884119.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1376233063.684098.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Sounds like a very hectic few weeks! Glad it is over.

They are both very lively looking. Keep us posted on what you come up with!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad in your move you were still able to get them outdoor space. 90 is quite high for a Russian, be sure to give him lots of shade and maybe build him a below ground hide to get into some cooler temps.

StellaRT

5 Year Member
About half the enclosure has shade, I made sure to include that for her :)
I have decided to convert the old garden areas behind my house, just off my porch, into the separate tortoise areas. That will provide shade by itself but she will of course have her beloved flower pot house. ImageUploadedByTortForum1376239433.820979.jpg
Here she is when we lived in Oklahoma and she lived inside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.