Over calcified eggs?

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ocala, Fl
Hello everyone. The last two eggs my leopard gecko laid were above ground, and had a very thick outer layer. I initially thought they were infertile because of how strange the situation was, but I candled them and they are most definitely fertile. All my past eggs haven't has such a thick, strong shell so I'm wondering what could be the reason. Will it result in a harder time for the babies to hatch? What causes over calcified eggs?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think it may be 'held over' eggs. . . eggs that she would have laid last year if she could have found a decent spot.

Javk

CA (Bay Area)
Yes, I agree with Yvonne. Those eggs must have been kept by the female. This has happened to my lace monitor eggs before. You are extremely lucky that your female did not retain them. You might need to help them hatch out if it is too hard. However, I do not believe that she retained them due to the improper environment. Leopards usually do not care if they cannot find eggs and will still lay them.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Yes, I agree with Yvonne. Those eggs must have been kept by the female. This has happened to my lace monitor eggs before. You are extremely lucky that your female did not retain them. You might need to help them hatch out if it is too hard. However, I do not believe that she retained them due to the improper environment. Leopards usually do not care if they cannot find eggs and will still lay them.
Okay. Thank you. She has a suitable nesting area and everything has been fine for the dozens of other eggs she's laid over the years. I think the problem was that we had people over when she was pretty close to laying, but everyone wanted to hold her for extended periods of time so she may have been a little stressed and held them in longer.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Okay. Thank you. She has a suitable nesting area and everything has been fine for the dozens of other eggs she's laid over the years. I think the problem was that we had people over when she was pretty close to laying, but everyone wanted to hold her for extended periods of time so she may have been a little stressed and held them in longer.
she was like “if i push out another kid my vag is gonna fall off” ?