Overfeeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobody

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
I have this new Sulcata tortoise who is almost a year old and is 3 1/4 inches in length.Well,everytime I bring him/her out to our garden for an hour in the morning to get sunligt,he/she spends about 45 minutes just eating grass.Same thing also in the afternoon.I take him/her out also for an hour and he/she spends 45 minutes eating grass.I just wonder on how all those grass that he/she consumes could fit into his/her belly.Anyway,is this something to worry about.Is he/her being overfed even if what he/she eats are all grass in our garden?Aside from that my Sulcata eats green veggies twice a week.
Thanks.

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
Nobody said:
I have this new Sulcata tortoise who is almost a year old and is 3 1/4 inches in length.Well,everytime I bring him/her out to our garden for an hour in the morning to get sunligt,he/she spends about 45 minutes just eating grass.Same thing also in the afternoon.I take him/her out also for an hour and he/she spends 45 minutes eating grass.I just wonder on how all those grass that he/she consumes could fit into his/her belly.Anyway,is this something to worry about.Is he/her being overfed even if what he/she eats are all grass in our garden?Aside from that my Sulcata eats green veggies twice a week.
Thanks.

You are on the right path. My Sulcatas are outside 24/7 in MI from about Memorial Day to Labor Day (give or take some weeks depending on that year's weather). There diet is 90%+ of what ever grows in their pen - grass and weeds. My neighbors pick their weeds and toss them into the pen. I can't grow enough weeds and my neighbers can't pull them quick enough. I keep a full lawn for them which I have to cut regularly. I water their grass before I water my lawn in the heat of summer.

This is one reason why tortoises are so easy and affordable to keep. Keep in mind:

Pay attention to what you use on your grass/plants (including what your neighbors use) and protect him from any bad chemicals.

Be aware of what is learking in the grass and sky. Your tortoise makes a tasty treat.

Also, pay attention to the weeds/plants. Find a toxic list somewhere.

I am a strong believer of giving your tortoise plenty of grass, time outside in the sun and space to roam.

To directly answer your question - No, you can't overfeed your tortoise on grass.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Welcome to the world of sulcatas. Eating is what they do best. Fresh grass+space to roam and exercise+sunshine= a happy, healthy little tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.