diarrhea with rocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

teensy2525

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix(Ahwatukee) AZ
I just adopted an 18 month old Sulcata. He's been doing great, but yesterday he had some diarrhea, and this morning it was worse, and full of pebbles. He spends a lot of time outside each day. He eats grass, hay, dandelions, collard greens... he hasn't had any fruit. What could be causing this, and why is he eating so many rocks? He gets a lot of sunshine, he always has cuttlebone in his enclosure, and he gets calcium powder once or twice a week? Help please!!!
Thanks you.[/font][/size]

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
are you sure they are not seeds ...of some sort? Take a sample and wash it out to expose the “rock” and see if that’s what it really is . If that’s the problem …remove the rock . Torts will eat colored aquarium rock all the time , why I suggest not using it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If they are indeed rocks he is eating, I would try to remove as many as possible from his enclosure. Some think they are missing something in their diet if they eat rocks. It could also be just mixed into the bite of grass he is grazing on. I have heard before too, that if they are small enough to eat, they will easily pass. I wouldn't count on that and do nothing. I would try to remove the stones and be sure to keep him well hydrated. If you don't, maybe add some calcium to his food at least once a week, incase he is lacking that.

teensy2525

5 Year Member
Phoenix(Ahwatukee) AZ
Thank you. There are no rocks in his indoor enclosure, but rocks all over my backyard. I will try to remove as many as I can from his outdoor enclosure, or at least add a bunch of sand/soil mixture to put a good layer over them? He is definitely passing the rocks, i'm just surprised he is eating so many. Should I add more calcium then what he is already getting?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its not necessarily a calcium thing. In fact too much calcium can cause an imbalance in some of the other minerals. Many people have had success stopping or slowing the rock eating by using a product called "MinerAll" from Sticky Tongue Farms. Its a complete mineral supplement, not just calcium. A reptile vitamin supplement once a week might help too. It worked for my sulcata that was eating too many rocks.

Just know that this is not all that unusual, and usually it does no harm. Its good that you noticed it, and hopefully it will be easy to get it under control.

teensy2525

5 Year Member
Phoenix(Ahwatukee) AZ
Thank you Tom!! So would ingesting the rocks be the cause of the diarrhea then? Sure appreciate your knowledge and help!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
teensy2525 said:
Thank you Tom!! So would ingesting the rocks be the cause of the diarrhea then? Sure appreciate your knowledge and help!!

Sometimes a blockage can cause loose stools, but it might just be coincidence or stress. I would soak daily for 45-60 minutes to help them all pass and keep him well hydrated.

I find that when they have their growth spurts, they sometimes get maniacal about eating everything in sight. Almost frantic. Just make sure you have lots of the right foods on hand and available. A hungry tortoise is more likely to swallow more rocks. Once you get the MinerAll, use it every other day for a couple of weeks, and then taper off to once or twice a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.