Tortoise diarrhea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cwt622

5 Year Member
I was hanging out with my tortoise, Was holding him. I went to set him down on the floor gently and he started letting liquid out of his Bum... I figured it was just pee.. no big deal.. He was lying in it.. so I went to pick him up out of it, and it was slimy.. it had the same consistency of a liquid soap... it was crystal clear.. He let a small amount out.. moved a foot. then just let it all out.. Bubbles and farts and everything.. Not sure if it was diarrhea or just pee... Any idea?

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
Cwt622 said:
I was hanging out with my tortoise, Was holding him. I went to set him down on the floor gently and he started letting liquid out of his Bum... I figured it was just pee.. no big deal.. He was lying in it.. so I went to pick him up out of it, and it was slimy.. it had the same consistency of a liquid soap... it was crystal clear.. He let a small amount out.. moved a foot. then just let it all out.. Bubbles and farts and everything.. Not sure if it was diarrhea or just pee... Any idea?

What has he been eating? I've noticed that some foods, such as prickly pear cactus pad, can sometimes cause a slimy textured-diarrhea like you've described.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Because you said it was a clear liquid it sounds like pee. It sounds like the tort is nervous being handled and urinates because of it. My daughter does reptile show's with her 4--H club and most of the tortoises iin the club urinate while being held by their owner as they talk about their tort's.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I always soak mine leopard before I hold him or put him on anything other then his own cage substrate. This way, he does it all in his soaks and not on me or anything else. Just a little tip. Now, it was probably nothing to worry about. If it continues to come out that way, I would have him checked for parasites.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Yup, biggest one does that when I pick him up, so I put him in a cereal bowl (his own one) when I transport him anywhere

Chainsawkitten said:
Yup, my biggest one does that when I pick him up, so I put him in a cereal bowl (his own one) when I transport him anywhere :/

Status
Not open for further replies.