Overgrown Beak Growth Question

Moose

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1504495768.129657.jpg
Moose is a 24 year old Sulculta, very happy, healthy eating habits and no sign of pain or discomfort BUT as the picture shows he is forming an "Overgrown" beak that I would like some advice on - can anyone provide me any feedback on what is seen, what causes it and how to correct it if needed? I have tried moving his feedings to the concrete porch to try to file it down in addition to feeding carrots as a harder food substrate that may help to break it down but these efforts haven't shown any improvement thus far.

Thanks in advance!

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
What about cuttlebone to naturally wear down that beak? Every year I throw a shed deer antler out in my yard, squirrels love to gnaw on them for minerals. There are sources for them as they are sold as chew bones for dogs. This may be a natural way to reshape his beak.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I did a thread on this many years ago: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/overgrown-beak.13061/#post-116317

Your case is much simpler. A little trimming with some small diagonal pliers, or some heavy duty toenail clippers should be all you need there.

I also agree with Len's cactus pad suggestion. I feed a lot of cactus pads, and I've had rescues with bad beaks that self-corrected for me. I didn't have to do anything. Eating the right foods got the beaks back in the correct shape without me doing anything.

Moose

5 Year Member
Texas
Thank you all for the advice and references to previous topic strings. This forum and its members are so helpful and appreciated!

Tomorrow I will be trimming Moose's beak!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Thank you to all of TheTortForum and us members, we are so helpful and appreciated!
We all freely offer up our advice and encouragement to those in need, So appreciated it when I was in need.
Tomorrow I will be trimming Moose's beak! And I can't wait to help other newbies, while, I to offer help, and share my new knowledge with those in need like I was.
Moose,
No need for me to state this but I will cause that's how I am. We are all so very happy to help you and all others concerning their tortoises and turtles live the kind of long, healthy, happy lives they deserve to have while living in our care.
Post Script,
I did take some artistic liberties while I put together and changed some of your original post above. Hopefully none was in poor or untactful for you you.
Cowboy Ken

Moose

5 Year Member
Texas
Thank you Ken for your comments - No harm done with your reposting.

2wgasa

5 Year Member
Carlsbad, CA
I did a thread on this many years ago: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/overgrown-beak.13061/#post-116317

Your case is much simpler. A little trimming with some small diagonal pliers, or some heavy duty toenail clippers should be all you need there.

Bomber has/had the same type of growth as seen in the Moose photo. Yesterday, a cactus pad distracted Bomber long enough to allow me to clip a majority of the beak using diagonals, but would like to give him a better finish using my dremel. Does anyone have a method to keep legs separated long enough to allow it?

Thanks

Ps. Realized that his feeding surface for special stuff is a large ceramic tile with a smooth finish. Changing to rough concrete today.

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
Bomber has/had the same type of growth as seen in the Moose photo. Yesterday, a cactus pad distracted Bomber long enough to allow me to clip a majority of the beak using diagonals, but would like to give him a better finish using my dremel. Does anyone have a method to keep legs separated long enough to allow it?

Thanks

Ps. Realized that his feeding surface for special stuff is a large ceramic tile with a smooth finish. Changing to rough concrete today.
Piece of wood/ pvc pipe between them and he won't be able to push them together. Good luck! Saw it on Kamp Kenan