Overgrown beak?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yeah, a little. It would be fairly easy to just nip off that excess on the front top.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Would it work if I just file it ?
You can file it, but personally i find this difficult.
I just carefully use nail clippers.
If it gets too long it can be a problem as the beak starts to deform, the tortoise may find it increasingly hard to eat and the strain placed on the tip of the beak can lead to splitting up the sides. Cuttlefish bone to nibble on may help prevent it, though some tortoises won't touch it. using a piece of rough slate or sandstone as a food plate can also help keep the beak naturally short.

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
You can file it, but personally i find this difficult.
I just carefully use nail clippers.
If it gets too long it can be a problem as the beak starts to deform, the tortoise may find it increasingly hard to eat and the strain placed on the tip of the beak can lead to splitting up the sides. Cuttlefish bone to nibble on may help prevent it, though some tortoises won't touch it. using a piece of rough slate or sandstone as a food plate can also help keep the beak naturally short.

Thanks....... yeah, I don't think I'm attempting to do this on my own! lol We are using slate for food plate and we have cuttlebone and a couple other pieces of slate and larger rocks in there. I'll give it a couple weeks and post another picture. If you all still think it looks too long, we'll let the vet handle this one! Thanks!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thanks....... yeah, I don't think I'm attempting to do this on my own! lol We are using slate for food plate and we have cuttlebone and a couple other pieces of slate and larger rocks in there. I'll give it a couple weeks and post another picture. If you all still think it looks too long, we'll let the vet handle this one! Thanks!
Some people find the slate doesn't do much good, though I think it helps with my Tidgy.
Indeed many prefer to let the vet do it, I hate doing it, it upsets Tidgy and i end up shaking like a leaf.