Overheated tortoises???

newdeserttortowner

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
Help! I'm sorry I'm such a newb. I have 2 baby desert tortoises and they are in an insulated tortoise table. I had no idea that their burrow needed to be below 90 degrees. Anyway we are having a heat wave in Vegas, Temps over 110. I was coming out and putting ice in their water while they were soaking, etc. For the last week it has been over 100, 104-115. I brought them inside for the last 2 days and once I got their burrow regulated and I put them back outside tonight. Their burrow is in the 80s now. I saw in a tortoise group I belong to that people were bringing their babies indoors and it triggered me to do so.

So they ate a little today bit they have been really lethargic. I put the back outside at 10 pm and they haven't moved since I put them back out. Have I caused brain damage? Are they ok? They were digging earlier today inside but they have been super slow. I didn't put a heat or uvb lamp on them since putting them inside since their enclosure is outside and I only had them indoors for 2 days and inside a tiny box. No foaming of the mouth, no sunken eyes, no vomiting. Just slower than I've seen them ever. They have moments of movement but slept most of the time.

newdeserttortowner

Las Vegas
Help! I'm sorry I'm such a newb. I have 2 baby desert tortoises and they are in an insulated tortoise table. I had no idea that their burrow needed to be below 90 degrees. Anyway we are having a heat wave in Vegas, Temps over 110. I was coming out and putting ice in their water while they were soaking, etc. For the last week it has been over 100, 104-115. I brought them inside for the last 2 days and once I got their burrow regulated and I put them back outside tonight. Their burrow is in the 80s now. I saw in a tortoise group I belong to that people were bringing their babies indoors and it triggered me to do so.

So they ate a little today bit they have been really lethargic. I put the back outside at 10 pm and they haven't moved since I put them back out. Have I caused brain damage? Are they ok? They were digging earlier today inside but they have been super slow. I didn't put a heat or uvb lamp on them since putting them inside since their enclosure is outside and I only had them indoors for 2 days and inside a tiny box. No foaming of the mouth, no sunken eyes, no vomiting. Just slower than I've seen them ever. They have moments of movement but slept most of the time.
Btw, their burrow was 10 degrees cooler than the outdoor temperature. I only put them back outside once I was able to regulate the buttow temp to be in the 80s.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Those babies are too young to be outside in Vegas all day, and especially NOT AT NIGHT...Their inside enclosure needs to have everything the babies need...including SEPARATING them. 2 torts together are a bad thing as one will bully the other. Are you soaking them daily? It's my personal opinion that they need to be set up inside and maybe go outside for an hour. Wake them up at the same time everyday. Feed them first thing every day. Then soak for about 15 minutes, longer if hydration is a problem. I wake mine up daily at the same time, feed at the same time, then soak. Having a schedule is very important for them and it enables them to regulate their functions...they are babies, please treat them as such...and keep them in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

First you must understand the the advice you've been given previously is likely to kill them if followed. The advice normally offered for DTs will slowly kill adults. Babies will die much faster.

I'm not sure I understand how or why a table would be used outdoors at all, or how or why you would insulate an open topped table. What is the point of insulation when the air can just freely exchange out of the top of the table?

Maggie is right on. Babies need to be inside most of the time. An hour of outside time in a safe secure ground pen once in a while is okay, but the controlled stable conditions in an indoor enclosure is what they need. I also agree that they need to be soaked daily, and separated ASAP. Groups can work, but not pairs.

I'm glad you found us and decided to post. It may save your baby's lives. Start here and look for the temperate species care sheet at the bottom. Then come back with all your questions and comments. Our goal is to help your babies thrive and Mae you a happy tortoise keeper.

newdeserttortowner

Las Vegas
Those babies are too young to be outside in Vegas all day, and especially NOT AT NIGHT...Their inside enclosure needs to have everything the babies need...including SEPARATING them. 2 torts together are a bad thing as one will bully the other. Are you soaking them daily? It's my personal opinion that they need to be set up inside and maybe go outside for an hour. Wake them up at the same time everyday. Feed them first thing every day. Then soak for about 15 minutes, longer if hydration is a problem. I wake mine up daily at the same time, feed at the same time, then soak. Having a schedule is very important for them and it enables them to regulate their functions...they are babies, please treat them as such...and keep them in.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Well, I think we can see that the good advice given here is really not going to be heeded. Good luck to your baby tortoises.

newdeserttortowner

Las Vegas
I don't understand why you said your advice wasn't going to be taken. I wasn't asking about 2 baby turtles living together, I was asking about the heat stroke and I thanked you, even though my question wasn't answered. I asked if they were going to be ok.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles

Hey, sorry you are not getting the advice you'd like to hear, and if you hear frustration on people's end its because this site gets overwhelmed with people saying "I have a question on X" when they give their info they have X, Y, Z, A, B, and C also not right and feel attacked, but know that people here are extremely experienced and knowledgeable and only want what is best for your tortoises.

So here is my two cents. Desert tortoises are protected species - I'm not sure where you got them, but do know that their care is considered really important because they are endangered. I know you say "they don't fight" but the fact is, what we think of as "fighting" is based on what we expect mammals to do. Aggressive and territorial behavior in tortoises SOMETIMES indeed looks like fighting, but often it looks like being BFFs. One follows the other around, they "snuggle" they "eat side by side". This is territorial and aggressive behavior and eventually one of your tortoises will get big and strong, and they other will become lightweight, not grow, and eventually die. You won't "see" bullying behavior at all.

Second, really a baby should not be left outside at all, even in a table. Babies don't wander around the open desert, they stay hidden and in burrows. If your tortoises are outside like they, they likely will die.

If you don't make changes, then I certainly wish you the best, and its possible they will indeed live, but the odds are lower, and they will at best survive, they will not thrive.

You may have only been asking about heatstroke, but the fact is you have other problems you didn't know about. You can be pissed people pointed it out, or grateful, but it doesn't change the outcome to your tortoises.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona

Moving tortoises will generally cause changes in behavior. Even if it's simply moving them from outside to inside, or the reverse, there will always be a change in behavior because the tortoise is suddenly placed into a completely new environment.

I would definitely recommend keeping babies inside, at least until temperatures are not as extreme. Just keeping them in one place with everything they need should stabilize their behavior. I would also recommend that you consider the input from the other members here. We all need help improving our husbandry.

newdeserttortowner

Las Vegas
I do appreciate the advice and even thanked Tammy for it. She seemed mad that I wasn't taking it. I am well aware that I will need to separate them but my immediate concern is their heat stroke and whether or not I've already caused irreparable damage to them. I am already a nervous wreck. Your information is very helpful, I'll bring them indoors. But I'm going to take this thread down as no one is addressing my question and it is causing me more stress.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Ok, let us try to help you. I have looked through this thread and I do believe your questions have been addressed. If you are asking "have I done damage" I don't think anyone can answer that for you. You are judging if they are damaged based on if they are eating. They may not eat for a zillion reasons, most of which are tied to a) the conditions kept in or b) lots of stress from moving around and needing to settle in.

If you question is "why aren't they eating" there are just too many reasons to be able to say for sure. My tortoise took WEEKS before he would eat when I got him, because just the act of moving was stressful to him.

If we're still missing a piece of your question then ask again and be specific, but we're trying to help and I'm not sure what you are still needing. But let us know so we can help.

newdeserttortowner

Las Vegas
I tend to be an overthinker. They did eat some yesterday but have been sleeping. I guess I am just looking for reassurance as to whether or not they will be ok. It kills me that I could have damaged them. I tried my best since I got them last fall to do everythink I could for them, getting them the proper lights, etc. They were fine indoors and I thought it was time to take them outside so they can get some sun and it got really hot. I had no idea it was going to be harmful for them, thinking the shaded part of their enlosure was enough. I did provide them a soaking dish and would put ice in it multiple times a day. I'm so gringe when I think about it now. I guess there is nothing I an do now except for wait.

Can the vet do anything for them or should I just wait to see if they will recover? I have soaked them and they did drink yesterday.

newdeserttortowner

Las Vegas
Just fyi, I invested in a hygrometer for the burrow part of the enclosure. It is 15 degrees cooler in there currently and I can put an ice pack in there, so the extra insulation I put on the enclosure is working. I wish I would have done it sooner. It is currently 96 out and the burrow temp is at 81.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
You are correct - you just have to wait. If they are drinking, then leave them to be, and hope for the best.

Meanwhile, if you haven't read this, you should start using it to get your enclosure set up. They need to be a closed chamber while they are babies. You didn't mention how old they are, can you elaborate? That will also help provide guidance. Meanwhile, definitely read this:

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Also where did you get them from? They can't be legally bred, so I'm assuming some kind of conservancy??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
During real hot weather tortoises estivate. . . that is, they go deep in their burrow where it isn't quite so hot and just sit there and wait for cooler weather. Your babies weren't able to do that. But moving them indoors and keeping them in the same 'territory' all the time will do wonders for them. It sometimes takes weeks for tortoises to realise the new territory meets their needs and is safe. Read the care sheet to make sure the enclosure is set up properly and give them time.

By the way, Welcome!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I do appreciate the advice and even thanked Tammy for it. She seemed mad that I wasn't taking it. I am well aware that I will need to separate them but my immediate concern is their heat stroke and whether or not I've already caused irreparable damage to them. I am already a nervous wreck. Your information is very helpful, I'll bring them indoors. But I'm going to take this thread down as no one is addressing my question and it is causing me more stress.
Living in pairs is very stressful. Your heat stroke question was answered with what you are doing being wrong and they gave you the right way. They also told you about separating them so they have a chance to survive the care they have been given before you came here.

newdeserttortowner

Las Vegas
During real hot weather tortoises estivate. . . that is, they go deep in their burrow where it isn't quite so hot and just sit there and wait for cooler weather. Your babies weren't able to do that. But moving them indoors and keeping them in the same 'territory' all the time will do wonders for them. It sometimes takes weeks for tortoises to realise the new territory meets their needs and is safe. Read the care sheet to make sure the enclosure is set up properly and give them time.

By the way, Welcome!!!
Thank you!