Overheated tortoises???

newdeserttortowner

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
Living in pairs is very stressful. Your heat stroke question was answered with what you are doing being wrong and they gave you the right way. They also told you about separating them so they have a chance to survive the care they have been given before you came here.
Right now I am more concerned about them surviving the heat stroke. If they don't survive the heat stroke, separating them won't matter anyway.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
If they are inside, and being soaked, then the next biggest stressor they have is another tortoise in their purview. I know you feel like its not a big deal, but it really is. They need to a) BE in a safe spot (moved inside), b) PERCEIVE themselves to be in a safe spot (not feel the heat, not see another tortoise, even if its a hatch mate), c) ADJUST to the space to understand they are in a safe spot for the duration so its OK to move around, eat, etc.

You have taken care of A. Separating them will take care of B. Time will take care of C.

Time moves slowly for tortoises, it can take a while before they feel they are in a safe spot, even if they are

newdeserttortowner

Las Vegas
You are correct - you just have to wait. If they are drinking, then leave them to be, and hope for the best.

Meanwhile, if you haven't read this, you should start using it to get your enclosure set up. They need to be a closed chamber while they are babies. You didn't mention how old they are, can you elaborate? That will also help provide guidance. Meanwhile, definitely read this:

They have a closed chamber. One side dark and the other provides protection from predators. They will be a year old next month. The dark side is completely insulated now and is holding a cooler temp currently. I've been monitoring it Cuirrent temp is 84 degrees and outdoor temp is 99.

newdeserttortowner

Las Vegas
If they are inside, and being soaked, then the next biggest stressor they have is another tortoise in their purview. I know you feel like its not a big deal, but it really is. They need to a) BE in a safe spot (moved inside), b) PERCEIVE themselves to be in a safe spot (not feel the heat, not see another tortoise, even if its a hatch mate), c) ADJUST to the space to understand they are in a safe spot for the duration so its OK to move around, eat, etc.

You have taken care of A. Separating them will take care of B. Time will take care of C.

Time moves slowly for tortoises, it can take a while before they feel they are in a safe spot, even if they are
I can only handle one stressful situation at a time. It will take me some time to set up another table for them but I can separate them in the meantime.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Ok just to be clear though (and sorry to be bearer of more bad news) a "closed chamber" does not mean protected from predators. If you have a "tortoise house" (something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VRY6X58/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20) then that is not what people are talking about when they mean a "closed chamber".

A Closed Chamber is one that does not let heat or humidity escape, so more like a plastic bin, or a PVC enclosure. Those tortoise houses are, unfortunately, terrible and it would be great if they were never allowed to be sold for tortoises. They are too small for adults and too "open top" for babies...

Sorry I know this isn't what you want to hear, but if the goal is to do what's best for the tortoise, then it is what it is whether we want it to be or can deal with it or not.

If it gives you any comfort, you are not alone at all, many many people get tortoises thinking they are easy to care for and you can just buy supplies that the pet store or amazon tells you, but sadly for them its not true

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Also how old are they and where did you get them? You said they are "babies" but what does that mean exactly? We'll be able to help more if we knew that.

Also if you have photos of them that would also help

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Tortoise need the correct conditions and shade and regular soaks warm shallow water in a high sided container done in the shade. As temps are so hot shade is vital to provide shady plants, draped cloth over a chair to create shade etc..... Clean fresh water, tortoise will move around to find the right temps, bask and move to shade.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I am sorry if I seemed abrupt or unwelcoming. You are very welcome here, and I hope that you can follow the great advice given by our experts! It may be a matter of life or death for your little ones. Thank you for staying and trying to do the right thing for them! All the best.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Unless they were foaming at the mouth and limp, they DIDN'T have heat stroke! Setting them up indoors with daily soaks is the best thing you can do for them. Once they realize they are safe and their needs are addressed they will start eating again.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They were born from the same clutch and don't fight. Fighting is mostly adults. Ok thank you
This is not correct. Here is just one example:

And we are not talking about over combat. We are talking about the chronic stress from being kept in a pair. Its not good for them.

I tend to be an overthinker. They did eat some yesterday but have been sleeping. I guess I am just looking for reassurance as to whether or not they will be ok. It kills me that I could have damaged them. I tried my best since I got them last fall to do everythink I could for them, getting them the proper lights, etc. They were fine indoors and I thought it was time to take them outside so they can get some sun and it got really hot. I had no idea it was going to be harmful for them, thinking the shaded part of their enlosure was enough. I did provide them a soaking dish and would put ice in it multiple times a day. I'm so gringe when I think about it now. I guess there is nothing I an do now except for wait.

Can the vet do anything for them or should I just wait to see if they will recover? I have soaked them and they did drink yesterday.
No one can tell you what damage, if any, has been done from the excessive heat. My first answer in this post was designed to help you die them optimal care, which is all that can be done if they were over heated or dehydrated.

Vets don't tend to know tortoise care and they often do more harm than good, and then charge you for it.

If you have not read the threads that were linked for you, please do. They will give you the correct care information while nearly every other source you have found previously has given you the wrong info. Housing them outdoors with open topped enclosures is not good for them.

You are welcome here. Our only goal is to help you have healthy tortoises, which should make you a happy tortoise keeper.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I can only handle one stressful situation at a time. It will take me some time to set up another table for them but I can separate them in the meantime.
Hello and welcome😊. First of all you can separate them immediately by just putting something down the middle of the indoor enclosure (with separate stuff) until you can actually do a better setup for the two. Really though they are eating and it was quickly. That means a lot. 🤗So just hang in there. I'm glad you stayed here. You'll be glad you did over the years to come because it will give you info and input. I wish I had found this site many years ago.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello and welcome😊. First of all you can separate them immediately by just putting something down the middle of the indoor enclosure (with separate stuff) until you can actually do a better setup for the two. Really though they are eating and it was quickly. That means a lot. 🤗So just hang in there. I'm glad you stayed here. You'll be glad you did over the years to come because it will give you info and input. I wish I had found this site many years ago.
Also are you sure they are a desert tortoise? Pictures would help everyone here help you better.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I was thinking on this, to the OP I am wondering if this might also be another semantics issue. In a casual way I can see someone calling a Sulcata "desert tortoises", and it would make more sense if you had two sulcata rather than two north american desert tortoises. Pictures would definitely help. If they are Sulcata the care is *very different* than what is more generally called a "desert tortoise" (ie: California Desert Tortoise) tho they aren't all in/from CA...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was thinking on this, to the OP I am wondering if this might also be another semantics issue. In a casual way I can see someone calling a Sulcata "desert tortoises", and it would make more sense if you had two sulcata rather than two north american desert tortoises. Pictures would definitely help. If they are Sulcata the care is *very different* than what is more generally called a "desert tortoise" (ie: California Desert Tortoise) tho they aren't all in/from CA...
I was thinking that too. Happens frequently.