Packaged Spring mix

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanessammm

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central California
Normally mine stays fresh about a week, sometimes a few days longer. I keep it in the bag but make sure the top is folded down and it seems to stay crisper longer this way. Is there maybe a different way I could store it to keep it fresh a little longer? My sulcata has never finished a whole bag before its gone bad so I was just wondering :) Thanks for any help.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I wash it, then dry thoroughly, and keep in a Tupperware with paper towels to absorb moisture. I then pick out any rotting leaves right away (the purple ones go bad first), and change out the paper towels and otherwise keep it as dry as possible. Sometimes you can also buy spring mix by the pound at some grocery stores (especially the health food places; it's $6.99/pound near me). Trader Joes seems to have the lowest price from Spring Mix near me, $2 a bag. Even if I throw some away, if it's cheaper I don't feel horrible. I also eat more salad now! I just can't eat salad more than a couple nights a week unless I buy some mix ins for it. I've never gotten the taste for mustard greens (little guy's favorite besides radish sprouts), but I can tolerate dandelion greens. Some people have the opposite opinion about keeping salad fresh, by keeping it moist. I tried both and keeping it dry extended the life a couple days. i thin picking out the rotting stuff is key because it spreads. Best wishes.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I have to agree with Kate. I find keeping mine dry is best. I tied the Green bags and have mixed feelings about them. I also use the paper towels and I now eat most greens, though mustard is not my fav unless cooked. Or you get more torts to help you eat them greens up :D . Tomorrow I will be up to 18 torts. And when I started I didn't know they would be like Lays potato chips, and that I couldn't have just one ! :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Crazy1 said:
Tomorrow I will be up to 15 torts. I knew I just couldn't have just one ! :p

Do tell, Robyn: What are you getting tomorrow?

Yvonne

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
more babies perhaps? :D I love my babies! I am so awed over little Anouk. I watched her eat for 20 minutes today.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Now with the Trevor cam I watch Trevor eat everyday! Today he got up so late we had lunch together at 11am. hehe

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yvonne, your quick. You responded before I could recount and put the correct # of 18. Wow, my heard is growing in leaps and bounds. But I am planning on shipping one of my males off on a breeding program this summer, and most of mine, well 8 anyway, are hatchlings and subadults. 2 of which I plan to sell in about 4 to 6 months. I am getting the Caspian Greek (Switch) from Funnygirl. Then I will be looking for at least 2 girlies for him.

No Meg, sorry not more babies, Yet. I seperated my breeding female to give her a break.

Kate it is so great that you have a tort cam. Someday I may set one up. I'd love to have one set up in the incubator.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Well you know how I feel about those babies that you will be selling in 4-6 months! ;) I think that's just enough of a break for the old boyfriend! If I can be good until then (and by good I mean no more additions) maybe I will stand a fighting chance!

vanessammm

5 Year Member
Central California
okay, ill try to keep it with the towels and see if that helps, i have also noticed that the purple leaves go bad first, here it is 1.98 a package!

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
i bought a hand vaccuum sealer for my veggies. i got it at walmart for like 20$ and it works really great for my veggies. i make sure there dry and them i wrap them in paper towels and they stay fresh for a really long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.