Painted turtle visitor

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
This morning while enjoying coffee and rain on our deck I noticed a dark shape in the flowers of our meadow.

IMG_9677.jpg

I went down to confirm my suspicions and found this turtle.

IMG_9676.jpg

I think she'd been laying eggs as I find a fresh and mostly filled-in hole... there were a free tracks of disturbed flowers and grass leading to and from the river/wetland below our house, so I think this sandy hillside had been used by other turtles as well.

IMG_9680.jpg

I took a few pics, wished her well, and returned her to the spot I'd grabbed her from a minute earlier.

I have to admit that when I first saw her I was hoping she was a blandings turtle, but it was nice to meet her regardless.

Jamie

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
We've had more visitors all week and I think it has to do with our decision to shift from weekly short mowing to letting that hillside above the river go to meadow.

It's prettier, easier, and more wildlife friendly... Win!

Jamie
Yes! Apart from the natural setting a deliberately unmanaged section of my yard offers to many creatures, it sure saves on labour costs.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
We've had more visitors all week and I think it has to do with our decision to shift from weekly short mowing to letting that hillside above the river go to meadow.

It's prettier, easier, and more wildlife friendly... Win!

Jamie
I keep telling my HOA that's why I haven't cut my grass..... They just don't get it :D

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
This morning while enjoying coffee and rain on our deck I noticed a dark shape in the flowers of our meadow.

View attachment 274448

I went down to confirm my suspicions and found this turtle.

View attachment 274449

I think she'd been laying eggs as I find a fresh and mostly filled-in hole... there were a free tracks of disturbed flowers and grass leading to and from the river/wetland below our house, so I think this sandy hillside had been used by other turtles as well.

View attachment 274450

I took a few pics, wished her well, and returned her to the spot I'd grabbed her from a minute earlier.

I have to admit that when I first saw her I was hoping she was a blandings turtle, but it was nice to meet her regardless.

Jamie

Oh, SOOOOO COOL!!![emoji2]
She is a beauty, too!