Painted Turtle

CaitMarie

Location (City and/or State)
Hoosick falls NY.
Hi everyone my names Caitlin! So I just got my first turtle about 2 weeks ago he’s a hatchling painted turtle. Only a little bigger then a quarter. I’ve started to notice some white stuff coming off from the front of him and just today I started seeing it on the back of him to. It’s coming off from his skin not on his shell at all. I just don’t know if it’s him shedding or if it’s fungus or something else that might be wrong with him? How can I tell? You can only see it when he’s in the water swimming I just assumed if his skin was shedding then his scutes would be as well. I really hope there’s nothing wrong with him!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Pictures would help. Could be anything without pictures to help.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Sounds like skin shedding.

CaitMarie

Hoosick falls NY.
Pictures would help. Could be anything without pictures to help.

I tried getting some pictures but every pic I took you couldn’t see the stuff coming off of him. You can only see it when he’s swimming all around and even then sometimes I can’t see it at all. This morning when I fed him It looked like it was gone I didn’t see any at all. But then tonight when I fed him again it looked like there was a ton coming off him way more then before.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That’s what I’m hoping it is. Is it normal for them to shed skin but not their shell? Or Will he shed his shell after?
I think they she'd excessively when they're growing too fast and being overfed. Mine were shedding a lot til I cut back to feeding once a day.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
This is my little painted turtle "Sheldon"IMG_20190608_084518220.jpg IMG_20190608_084546657.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Nice midland painted, @Toddrickfl1 Don't see many out here, mostly southerns and westerns.

@CaitMarie Skin shedding is normal and does look like you describe. However, it can also be fungal problems so we need a picture to see what you are talking about. get a good picture of the turtle in the water as todderick did with his second photo. Even if what you are seeing doesn't show in the picture, we can still see the health of the legs/neck skin.

NickA

Mid Atlantic
Sounds like shedding skin I wouldn’t be concerned.. here is my painted turtle not sure of his history but he is happily living in my pond. You can see in the one I pik his 2 front legs are missing. He is very happy and healthy otherwise. He’s competes with the goldfish for their food.

Attachments

• 1204D04C-58B1-476D-BD1F-6C033A4708C2.png
    1204D04C-58B1-476D-BD1F-6C033A4708C2.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 4953C7D8-27B8-43AD-A10F-8D0A8F36CE96.png
    4953C7D8-27B8-43AD-A10F-8D0A8F36CE96.png
    2 MB · Views: 9