Pairs help?!?

Princessjay

Hello all

I have a pair of hatchlings (greek med spur thighed). Ive noticed one of them is really naughty, follows the other one around, tries to eat her food, sleep next to her and put her shell.. I thought this was just playing, but I caught her trying to bite the others one legs today.

Shall I separate them now or wait it out?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Now! This is bullying and it will only get worse :(

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
If you seArch in the tortoise forum website, you'll see quite a few threads that have been created because many have thought that tortoise and turtles need friends. This is not the case. Other than them not needing friends, they can stress each other out, causing many other problems such as not eating, fighting for dominance, and even DEATH. You also don't know if either of the species carry any sort of diseases. Separate them immediately, before something happens if it hasn't already. Good luck

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Princess,

We all told you to separate them on your original thread back in September. Your less dominant tortoise is in a living hell right now. PLEASE separate them. How bad does it have to get?

Princessjay

Me and my hubby thought it was teething problems. I've arranged for a buyer to come and take her on Saturday.

Thanks for the advice. :) I'm watching them very closely this week to make sure nothing happens.

Princessjay

Princess,

We all told you to separate them on your original thread back in September. Your less dominant tortoise is in a living hell right now. PLEASE separate them. How bad does it have to get?

Tom I contacted the breeder and she said this was normal behaviour so I continued to moniter them. I saw this wasn't the case and acted on it immediately.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom I contacted the breeder and she said this was normal behaviour so I continued to moniter them. I saw this wasn't the case and acted on it immediately.

I understand. It is tough for someone starting out. There is so much conflicting info. I don't know how a person is supposed to figure out who to listen to. Most people think of vets and breeders as "experts", but they are often as mis-informed as the general public or the kids working in the chain pet stores. Its a tough situation. We all learn as we gain experience, but our animals suffer for as long as we remain ignorant.

It is my goal, and the goal of many others here on this forum, to shorten that learning curve whenever possible. I'm glad you are here, and I'm glad we will be able to help you and your tortoises. Thank you for sticking around and I wish you and yours well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is not unheard of for one hatchling to bite off the tail or even leg of another hatchling. I wouldn't keep them together while waiting for the buyer to come get one of them. I'd separate them right now. You dont have to build a whole nother habitat. Just put one of them into a dish pan or something he can't get out of, a bowl, anything, with a light over part of it.

Magilla504

Princess, I would listen to these guys. Don't listen to the breeding "experts!"
The only time my Russians stay together is in a really big outdoor enclosure and they basically ignore eachother. They are solitary animals and that's exactly how they act . Good luck

Konmiina

Yeah honey that's hardcore bullying, your other one must be so stressed :( separate immediately, in rare cases sometimes pairs can get along (my two are best buddies and can't live without each other, it's a love affair and if one is missing for more than about half an hour the other one comes looking for it) but when I got the second one I was prepared for them to live in their own homes, it just never ended up being the case. Each tort has its own personality and same in humans personalities clash sometimes and shouldn't be friends :)

Princessjay

I can safely say she has gone to a new home :) My other little one seems really active now to! As heart breaking as it was, it was for the best! Ive made some amazing little videos or her climbing, burrowing, running around her little enclosure!!
I also think I may be spoiling her, in the morning I try and feed her before I leave for work, and ive noticed, until I hold her, talk to her and hand feed her she won't eat!! xx