Pancake stools

Status
Not open for further replies.

EKLC

5 Year Member
Do pancakes tend to have runny stools? Mine occasionally has a solid stool, but they tend to be a bit watery.

I have not had a fecal done, because his appetite has been steady for the 6 months I've had him, and there are no unusual smells or other suspicious symptoms. Plus there are solid poops mixed in with the runnier ones. But I do not know his origin, wild caught or otherwise, so I'm considering administering the reptaid that I have.

Diet has cactus, grass, spring mix, squash, and it happens even when he hasn't had cactus in awhile, so I'm wondering if this happens to the cakes.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Mine stay on a very pickey diet of cactus, wheat grass, and greens. (grasses in the summer when outside) I do notice semi loose, stools. Also they tend to defecate a lot more than any other tortoise species I have. I think your good. I would suggest a fecal just to be certain, of your not knowing aspect of him. Better safe than sorry. But as for your observations, I have had the same experience with my pancakes, and new ones, for 8 years now.

EKLC

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
Mine stay on a very pickey diet of cactus, wheat grass, and greens. (grasses in the summer when outside) I do notice semi loose, stools. Also they tend to defecate a lot more than any other tortoise species I have. I think your good. I would suggest a fecal just to be certain, of your not knowing aspect of him. Better safe than sorry. But as for your observations, I have had the same experience with my pancakes, and new ones, for 8 years now.

Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better. He does defecate a lot more than other species. That tail gets wiggling pretty much once a day while he's eating. I wonder if they're digestive system just works a little differently due to their pretty unique shape and rock-dwelling habits, not constantly grazing like a sulcata.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
I would imagine that has something to do with it. As well their gut is nowhere near the size of other torts. I also notice this in my speks hinge-backs. They come from same regions just different locations, they are also very flattened, and tend to defecate a lot more than other tortoises I have. Must be the flatter physical make up.

Status
Not open for further replies.