Pancake Time!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pongpagong

5 Year Member
Hi,we dont have much discussion or infos about keeping the pancake tortoise...Could anyone please post more infos/suggestions about pancake tortoise..like the behavior,better diet,temp,humidity,lights(heat lamp/UVB),supplements and better substrate than newprint?Thanks:)

tortoiseluvr

5 Year Member
I have not checked this section in a while, but I am happy you have given me an excuse to write about pancakes because not too many people talk about them on the forum. Pancakes like security and places to hide, so if they have enough places to hide you will never see them. They do well on a diet consisting of mixed greens but my experience has been that they do not care for grasses. My enclosure usually around 80 degrees. They need a UVB source if not living outdoors. I dust their food with a calcium supplement twice a week and a vitamin supplement once a week. For substrate I use cypress because it works well for me especially since I am trying to breed, so the females have the opportunity to borrow.

Generally pancakes stay between 6 and 7 inches. Females are larger and much heavier. My adult male looks so tiny compared to the girls and the girls each out weigh him by a lot. Females only lay one egg at a time. Their shell is softer and more flexible then other tortoises. The reason for their shell being flat is that when they feel threatened they run into a tight area instead of tucking themselves into their shell. The flat shell allows them to be faster and makes it easier for them to hide in rocks.

This is a quick list of information that was off the top of my head so there probably are things missing, but for the most part it is some basic care information.

Status
Not open for further replies.