Pancake Tortoise Enclosure

Tortoise Guy

Hello everyone. I decided to get a Pancake Tortoise. However, I need help with the the enclosure. I think I got a pretty good idea on how I will build it. Just a normal enclosure with rocks to climb and hide between. I will probably also install pixiglass to one of the longer sides. Can anyone help by posting pics of their successful enclosures? Also, what substrate do they require? Wood a sand/coir mix work?
Would these two lights work?http://tinyurl.com/kmqpf5t
http://tinyurl.com/qem9fae
I'm sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right as I would be a first-time tortoise keeper. I want to provide my tortoise a great environment!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Your best off getting a CHE for overhead heat. UVB should be a tube 10.0 and or a mercury vapor bulb. They like to hide a lot under rocks. So some mulch mixed with soil is the best substrate with lots of hides.

Tortoise Guy

I heard that using a MVB can cause problems with eyesight. Is this true? Also, is an MVB considered an all-in-one. In other words, if I use an MVB can I use no other heating source?

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I have been using MVB's since 2009. I have never had issues with my torts eyes. They provide heat, UVA/UVB, and visual light. Many people use MVB's for their reptiles. Now coil bulbs on the other hand have been not the bulb of choice due to major damage to eye issues.

Tortoise Guy

Would something like this work: http://tinyurl.com/q4nybwd Is there a cheaper alternative? I feel sixty dollars is too much for just a bulb. I might be wrong, though. I found multiple other MVBs. What is the difference other than the significant price difference?

ShannonC

South Carolina
I use MVB's for all my reptiles. The difference, in my opinion, is quality. I prefer the Zoo Med over any other brand, and I think I have used them all. Also, if you want to order one, don't order it from the big pet store web sites. There are other, more affordable, places to get them. Try thatpetplace.com or drsfosterandsmith.com.......these are the places I use most. Foster and Smith runs sales on theirs fairly often too. I have been able to combine sales with coupons that I have "earned" during promotions to get the Zoo Med bulbs for around $35-$40.

Ooops! Just went to check the current price and it looks like Foster and Smith no longer carries the Zoo Med...... Just be aware that if you order a "Sun Spot" (made by Fluker, I believe) bulb, they are HUGE! You have to have a deep dome light fixture for that one.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
With my pancakes, I only use a zoomed mvb. At night for heat, I use a che on a thermostat. My light is on a timer. Yes the bulbs are expensive, but they are well worth the health of your tortoise. And keep in mind typically the only time you'll likely see a pancake bask is if he's too cold. Read all you can here, on this site, from active pancake keepers and hobbyists. Ask questions. If something doesn't make sense to you, ask for clarification and keep learning.