Pancakes...Good in pairs?

Gmoran

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pa
I've read that pancake tortoises do well in small groups. I have a young female and was thinking about getting another female. Does anyone have any practical experience in keeping a pair together? Is it a good idea or better to just stick with one?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not a good idea. Tortoises do not do well in pairs. Pancakes are not an exception. Groups are usually okay as long as there is no more than one adult male.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I've read that pancake tortoises do well in small groups. I have a young female and was thinking about getting another female. Does anyone have any practical experience in keeping a pair together? Is it a good idea or better to just stick with one?
A member that has pancakes says it can be done with females. Not male/male or male/female. Female/female sometimes seem to work. I have two female leopards together with no problems.
Just be sure there is more then one good spot, basking spot big enough for two and two feeding and watering spots and it will go better if it's going to go at all. Just still keep an eye out for bullying and separate if noticed.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
If your housing has enough hides and is an adequate size they do fine in a colony. I have not heard much from other pancake keepers of there really being much aggression. My 3 do fine in their group and often bask and eat together, they sometimes share the same hides. Again you alwayse need to watch though if there is any aggression.

kaabi

5 Year Member
i kept mine female pancakes in groups without male. my enclosure is about 6x4ft with many hideouts and a climbable "hill" of around 2ft in height. no issues at all, they fed, slept and stick together most of the time. i also realize they do "encourage" the weaker one to eat more.

hope this helps.