Paranoid about mites

captain

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Hi everyone, so far in my baby red foots enclosure, no sign of mites but as i read about them i am very worried... i use just some new zealand sphagnum moss and lots of cypress mulch.

In my new enclosure i am going to use cypress mulch, green sphagnum moss, and coconut coir (brick form) mostly coconut coir...

what can i do to avoid having mites? easy process i hope...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mites are not typically a tortoise problem. Thats more of a snake and occasionally a lizard problem. If you were dealing with all sorts of freshly imported tortoises from all over the place, there is a slight possibility that you'd see a tortoise mite. Outside of that unique scenario, you are not likely to see any mites. Don't be alarmed when you start noticing the typical substrate flies that eventually show up in nearly every tortoise enclosure. These are common, harmless and won't bother your tortoises in the least.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Don't be alarmed when you start noticing the typical substrate flies that eventually show up in nearly every tortoise enclosure. These are common, harmless and won't bother your tortoises in the least.

Tom is 100% on this...along with his information you will likely encounter springtail....very common soil critter but good for the health of your soil...you may want to hunt down some peel bugs and nightcrawler worms for the soil...they are both very healthy additions to keep the indoor enclosure healthy...