PARDALIS 10" BREEDER MALE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Great looking tortoise, don't know anything about the seller, but looks like a pardalis to me.

samstar

5 Year Member
Looks like a pardalis pardalis to me which is the bigger of the two leopard species.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
That is a nice looking Leo, but I question his size. The pictured tort is more like 7-8" max, not 10". I have both sizes and the hand holding it up fits my smaller size just like the picture. You won't see the hand on a 10" tort. Not that's its a big deal, but this is one problem with buying a tort through the mail.

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
How can you tell it's pardalis? That looks A LOT like my leopard does and I've been told she's babcocki. Also, I agree with Greg, he doesn't look 10 inches.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I would love to add this beautiful leopard to my collection. Im just short $849.00 lol. Its a bit much; but it is rare to find one with a nice shell like this one..I also agree...it doesnt look 10 inches.

So I just called the seller of the this tortoise. He says its a P.Pardalis and it's about 10inches and 4 years old. Raised on a natural diet and kept outside.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yourlocalpoet said:
How can you tell it's pardalis? That looks A LOT like my leopard does and I've been told she's babcocki. Also, I agree with Greg, he doesn't look 10 inches.

Really the only way to tell for certain is if the geographic origin is known by whoever bred the tortoise. Hatchling P.Pardalis typically have two dots on each scute, but not all the time.

The reason I think it's Pardalis is because the blonde coloring appears more dull than I've seen on babcocki's, and the color pattern "looks" more on the Pardalis side, but these are my own observations which can't verify with any amount of assurity weather it is in fact P. Pardalis.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
A very nice male who is about 9 inches SCL. It does though look like a Stigmochelys pardalis babcocki to me. Saying it's pardalis can't come back to haunt him either as pardalis is the species name and people will just assume he means pardalis pardalis. Sellers can be tricky that way. :p

Danny

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Since opinions were asked for, I agree with Danny. It is Stigmochelys pardalis, but the subspecies looks like babcocki to me too.

Still, not a bad looking fellow.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm thinking it is a pardalis, however it is a pardalis babcocki, not a pardalis pardalis. Also, if you notice the measuring device is two inches out in front of the tortoise. You measure from the front of the shell, not the front of the head, so if you go to the back of the tape where the end of the carapace shows 11", you have to take off the two inches from the front and the tortoise is 9" like Danny said. Its a pretty tortoise, but they're asking too much for a pardalis babcocki.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Yvonne and Danny, and whoever else too -

The size of this guy at 3 years seems awfully big for a babcocki, as I have read that they grow slower than the larger pardalis pardalis. I have two babcocki that are a few inches less than this guy and mine are probably 2 years older.

Am I mistaken that babcocki grow slower and not as large as a true pardalis pardalis? :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Greg T said:
Yvonne and Danny, and whoever else too -

The size of this guy at 3 years seems awfully big for a babcocki, as I have read that they grow slower than the larger pardalis pardalis. I have two babcocki that are a few inches less than this guy and mine are probably 2 years older.

Am I mistaken that babcocki grow slower and not as large as a true pardalis pardalis? :(

The growth rate is highly variable, and there are just too many variables involved, so size is just not a good indicator of age. Yes the Gpp do generally get larger than the Gpb, but they don't necessarily grow faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.