Peas

Mr Buster

Location (City and/or State)
Reno NV
Buster loves peas.

He actually crawls over his romaine and cilantro and finds and eats the 7 to 10 peas I place in his food first and ignores everything else until he gobbles them peas down.

Are the peas good for him ? I checked some food charts but I really have not found any data on peas. I would really hate to deny Buster his seemingly one joy and purpose in life.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Peas are from the legume family, which makes them high in protein and some other things that aren't good for tortoises. Tortoises need a high fiber, low protein diet.

A occasional few won't hurt him but they are definitely not for everyday eating. I'd look to broaden his diet with other foods.

Sorry!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Peas and other legumes are good for them as a small part of a varied diet. 7-10 peas a day for a small tortoise is too much, in my opinion. Once or twice a week for that amount would be good though. Be sure to soak often when feeding a diet that is higher in protein.

I use peas, green beans, alfalfa, clover and Mazuri to get the needed protein into my tortoises diets.

If you mash up a couple of peas and mix it with a little water, you can use that mush to coat new foods and get him to try them. :)

Mr Buster

Reno NV
So far Buster ignores Mazuri. That was a disappointment because it seemed like a lot of people had great luck with that item.

This is my 10th day being a tortoise slave and I have been working over 10 hours a day so not a lot of time to forage. I do have over 35 rose bushes in my yard and he did show some interest in those leaves and a couple pedals from the only two roses that are still blossoming this time of year. I just bought timothy hay from walmart today too.