Peat Moss brands???? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
So I've had my Sheldon for about three years. When I first came to the forum I did a search and "Miracle Gro peat moss" was said to be fine. I've been using it ever since with no problem. My father one time brought me a large bag of an organic kind but when I opened it-it was like sand. I live in New England so in winters with old heating systems the house gets extremely dry and humidity has been an issue so wet peat moss helps greatly. Adding water to already sandy peat moss doesn't do much :p
So he took that and used the organic in his garden. He was recently told that LOWES and Home Depot are no longer selling Miracle Gro peat moss because of some issue, so he got "Sta Green peat moss." The Sta Green peat moss says "with fertilizer" I know Miracle Gro has some in it but it's different. Is this Sta Green okay to use?

Just as an added note, every time I mention trouble with humidity I get tons of suggestions about humidity. While I appreciate them, I've read this forum for three years now and already know and have tried everything. My question is NOT about humidity it is about substrate. Thanks :D

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
I get large, compressed bales of organic peat moss. They are 3.8 cubic feet. When opened and expanded, it would fill a full size pick up truck bed. I get mine from my local feed and farm supply store. I, personally, wouldn't use a product with fertilizer additives.

On a side note, humidity. (sorry, had to)! LOL

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
I live in a city and don't drive. We don't have any feed stores within walking distance. Most of the feed stores here are out in the country areas which are quite far away. Hour + drive. Would be hours in walking.

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
Shipping on such heavy items is OUTRAGEOUS. I just don't have that kind of money. I looked online a long time ago. Also, after what happened with the organic kind my father bought that was like sand. I wouldn't even know what kind to look for. I'd fear spending a ton of money just to find it doesn't come wet but like sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.