(Pellet) food tips for a young marginated tortoise?

Little Rock Raffie

Location (City and/or State)
Belgium
Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are first time tortoise parents and in our search for some tips for the best care for Raffie (pictures included and more information about age etc. below), I stumbled onto this site. Wonderfull by the way, thanks a lot.

I've been reading a lot about diet and proper food and came to the conclusion that besides greens it's also good to give some pellet food, especially for young tortoises.
Since a lot of you are using the Mazuri food, I would like to give it a try (especially the Mazuri Small Tortoise LS Diet). Unfortunately, we live in Belgium and it is not sold in stores here (that I know of) nor deliverable by Amazon or other companies.

* Is there anyone else here from Belgium (or West-Europe) that can suggest comparable alternatives that are equally high quality and healthy? I noticed that a lot of pellet food contain sugar, fruits and other ingedients that are not recommended for marginateds (like paprika, ...), so I am a little suspicious of those (unless I am wrong about that).

* The Mazuri for adults is available in Belgium and I wondered if it would be okay to give Raffie the adult version (soaked in water for example)?

Thank you!

*gender still unknown though

Attachments

• 20240616_130825.jpg
    20240616_130825.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240926_080242.jpg
    20240926_080242.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
Hello and welcome!

Raffie is such a cutie!

Good alternatives to Mazuri (in EU it's sold as Nutrazu, by the way) are: Agrobs Pre Alpin, ZooMed Grassland, Hikari Mulberrific, Arcadia (Optimized 52 Tortoise Food or DragonFuel topper). Agrobs stands out as it's pure dried weeds and grasses mix with very good variety and protein/fiber ratio. If Raffie is a picky one, introducing Agrobs pellets may take a lot of time, though.