Pellet food

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
So I have heard a lot about Mazuri.
Sadly, it's not sold in the uk so I've been looking at other types, just to help us get through winter.

I found this one and thought it looked quite good but please can you just let me know if it's okay or if there are better choices.
Thanks!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1449474685.442176.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1449474700.829164.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Except for the apple, the ingredients look pretty good.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The Mazuri LS is the type that most of our tortoises do not like.
Good old Mazuri tortoise chow is what you seek.
Keep in mind that tortoises do not require ANY kind of food pellets. As long as their nutritional needs are being met with other foods.
I use Mazuri because I have several tortoises and I sometimes run low in green food for them. Also, last week I was sick and I fed them Mazuri three days in a row.
To me, it's more of a time saver for myself than any type of bonus for my tortoises. (And they love the stuff)
It's a convenience. Not a requirement.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Either the Mazuri LS or the other one you found would be good additions to a varied diet. As long as you continue serving as much fresh food as possible the pellet food and it's exact ingredient mix isn't quite as crucial (still important though). Mine gets fairly regular pellet additions in the winter also, but 90% of the time I use it, it's as a salad dressing rather than a regular meal on it's own.
Shown here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sully-salad-for-new-tort-owners-pic-heavy.132818/

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Odins Gma. Your tortoise DOES eat the LS type?
He sure does. If served on it's own he doesn't attack it with the vigor he does with regular Mazuri, but on his salads it doesn't matter which one I use.
It does take longer to soak it and smush it though. Of course he does not care about my inconvenience. :p

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
He sure does. If served on it's own he doesn't attack it with the vigor he does with regular Mazuri, but on his salads it doesn't matter which one I use.
It does take longer to soak it and smush it though. Of course he does not care about my inconvenience. :p

My 3 y.o. will eat it by itself(although if you offer both types he will eat the regular first), but he will also eat cut grass and moistened hay, so he isn't too picky.

Yearling isn't crazy about either type, but will eat either on green stuff.

The three '15s will eat regular by itself like crazy, but do not even look at LS as a food item. They don't object to it smeared on other stuff though.

PS: I'm talking about Leopards.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
My 3 y.o. will eat it by itself(although if you offer both types he will eat the regular first), but he will also eat cut grass and moistened hay, so he isn't too picky.

Yearling isn't crazy about either type, but will eat either on green stuff.

The three '15s will eat regular by itself like crazy, but do not even look at LS as a food item. They don't object to it smeared on other stuff though.

PS: I'm talking about Leopards.
Mine will also go for regular first it both are offered. He is a year and a half old sully, also not picky.

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
Boy. My RF would rather not eat at all.
Maybe it's a RF thing?
It is higher fiber(almost Zoomed Grassland territory), so not as desirable to a redfoot. My redfoot will eat it but isn't crazy about it; I only offer it to her mixed with some regular or with some greens/fruit . Often I will mix some regular and either Grassland or LS together for the leopards. I portion that out and leave a small amount, to which I add regular, greens, and/or a bite of fruit and then give that to my red.

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
My Russian loves the LS by itself. He loves the original too. I've not offered together so I don't know which he'd favor (I suspect he'd just eat both)

Kori5

I ordered some LS for my Hermann. Couldn't find the regular one in the EU. Hope he will eat it but he is picky :).