Mazuri tortoise pellet types

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hopefully this will explain things a little. And help you determine which Mazuri you've found.
I've been meaning to make this post for a while.

On the left is the newer MAZURI L.S.
It is supposedly "better" for most species.(better suited ingredients) Is easier to find. But unfortunately many tortoises do not care for it.
The pellets are smaller, darker and harder. They also take much longer to get soft in water and don't absorb liquid as well.
I've heard from some members that Russian tortoises prefer this type. But my Redfoot won't touch it.
Buying it may be a waste of your money. So buy a small amount initially and try it first.

On the right is the "original" MAZURI 5M21. It is the type that most of us use. It has a decades old track record of excellence. Zoos use it. Hobbyists use it. So do I. It's great to have on hand and it's a good part of a tortoise diet. (It contains things like molasses. And on paper seems like it's not a good choice)
Most tortoises are absolutely crazy about it. And it is fantastic for the administration of medications, etc. Soaking it in water turns it into a gritty mush thar can be mixed with just about anything. Or smeared on top of anything.
It can also be fed dry to adult tortoises. I often toss a few dozen pellets around my enclosures and let my RF find them. I've been using this for many years.

Strangely, the 5M21 bag now claims that the product is nutritionally complete. "No supplementation necessary".
While I can't say with authority that this statement is just totally untrue, I will reccomend that you just use it as part of your feedings. And not as the primary food source.
My ratio is less than 10%.
Every tortoise needs variety. And we must not get lazy and suit our own convenience.

Attachments

• 20240215_222954.jpg
    20240215_222954.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
The new claim of NO SUPPLEMENTATION IS NECESSARY

It might be new to the packaging but Mazuri has claimed to be complete nutrition with no need for supplementation for a long time.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hopefully this will explain things a little. And help you determine which Mazuri you've found.

It is supposedly "better" for most species.(better suited ingredients) Is easier to find. But unfortunately many tortoises do not care for it.
The pellets are smaller, darker and harder. They also take much longer to get soft in water and don't absorb liquid as well.
I've heard from some members that Russian tortoises prefer this type. But my Redfoot won't touch it.
Buying it may be a waste of your money. So buy a small amount initially and try it first.

On the right is the "original" MAZURI 5M21. It is the type that most of us use. It has a decades old track record of excellence. Zoos use it. Hobbyists use it. So do I. It's great to have on hand and it's a good part of a tortoise diet. (It contains things like molasses. And on paper seems like it's not a good choice)
Most tortoises are absolutely crazy about it. And it is fantastic for the administration of medications, etc. Soaking it in water turns it into a gritty mush thar can be mixed with just about anything. Or smeared on top of anything.
It can also be fed dry to adult tortoises. I often toss a few dozen pellets around my enclosures and let my RF find them. I've been using this for many years.

Strangely, the 5M21 bag now claims that the product is nutritionally complete. "No supplementation necessary".
While I can't say with authority that this statement is just totally untrue, I will reccomend that you just use it as part of your feedings. And not as the primary food source.
Every tortoise needs variety. And we must not get lazy and suit our own convenience.
In my humble opinion, tortoises are crazy about the old Mazuri because, yes, it contains molasses and the torts get addicted to the sweet that is NOT a regular part of their diet. I understand using Mazuri as a supplement in their diet..I don't use Mazuri...I have gone to some extent to grow a good diet for my tortoises...100_0176.JPG100_0169.JPG

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It might be new to the packaging but Mazuri has claimed to be complete nutrition with no need for supplementation for a long time.
No kidding?
It's probably been on the bag somewhere this entire time.
I usually buy the 25 pound bags and there's a lot written on them. Especially on the older style Red label bags.

Last edited:

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
That's the original. That's what I use but I but the largest bags and freeze it. I buy it from upper Michigan for cheaper than any place else I have found. So when I go there, I get 3-4 bags
How far up in Michigan? We go to Dearborn once a year minimum.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va

There's another size of the LS that is good for hatchlings to get them to eat the larger LS in time. KIMG3067~2.JPGIts the mini LS, the one on the right side of the picture to show the size difference of the 3 mazuri choices for tortoises. If wanted it softens very quick and easy, not like the full size LS. And there's no reason you shouldn't feed both Mazuris if you want.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There's another size of the LS that is good for hatchlings to get them to eat the larger LS in time. View attachment 366620Its the mini LS, the one on the right side of the picture to show the size difference of the 3 mazuri choices for tortoises. If wanted it softens very quick and easy, not like the full size LS. And there's no reason you shouldn't feed both Mazuris if you want.
My next order that I have to pick up next time I go, I will have a bag of the LS. Going to mix with the regular and cross fingers and hope it's all eaten as well as they eat just the regular.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
There's another size of the LS that is good for hatchlings to get them to eat the larger LS in time. View attachment 366620Its the mini LS, the one on the right side of the picture to show the size difference of the 3 mazuri choices for tortoises. If wanted it softens very quick and easy, not like the full size LS. And there's no reason you shouldn't feed both Mazuris if you want.
That's really interesting, I'm not sure I've ever seen the mini. Cool!

Len B

10 Year Member!
My next order that I have to pick up next time I go, I will have a bag of the LS. Going to mix with the regular and cross fingers and hope it's all eaten as well as they eat just the regular.
I would pick up a small bag at a pet store to try before buying the large bag mainly because the LS cost more per pound than the original mazuri.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would pick up a small bag at a pet store to try before buying the large bag mainly because the LS cost more per pound than the original mazuri.
Yeah I already got the price for it and ordered. I just figured one way or the other I will trick them into eating it lol. They usually eat anything except the Russian, he's picky.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Yeah I already got the price for it and ordered. I just figured one way or the other I will trick them into eating it lol. They usually eat anything except the Russian, he's picky.
To get them started on eating it I've used a coffee bean grinder to turn the pellets into dust. Then just dust their regular food with a some. In time they should start eating the pellets.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
To get them started on eating it I've used a coffee bean grinder to turn the pellets into dust. Then just dust their regular food with a some. In time they should start eating the pellets.
Thanks, I will try this if they don't take to it.